Population Explosion:

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Nikam, May 12, 2005.

1. There was a recent article in the local paper about how the Geese are messsing up the playng fields at a local park. I took a few shots yesterday at another park across the river from the park where they've been having problems. These guys were moving around pretty fast and the light was a bit low - so not quite as sharp as I would have liked.

Don't go up there! There's some guy pointing a some shiny black thing at us:

2. Judging by where the grass is sharp I would suggest that your softness on the babies is more a focus problem than a movement problem. Cute shots non-the-less.

3. Brew

Brew Guest

I like the last one of mother yelling at either you or her little gosling's!!

4. Hi Dennis, the little ones are cute. I like them.
    Pete

5. Hi there......

Great shots, see your about 3 weeks ahead of us here, no babies have been born yet. Looking forward to it!

6. Thanks Gordon, I think you're mostly right. Some of these were taken at 1/60th of a second though, and they were moving around a lot. With my current camera, I have a lot of problems with focus. On the coolpix 4500, the teleconverter blocks the viewfinder, so you only have the rather small viewscreen to check focus and manual focus is a joke. Looking forward to getting a decent camera (and lenses) one of these days but I may wait for the mythical D200 to appear before I make a decision :) :)

Bruce, I wasn't sure which she was doing. She allowed the goslings to come quite a bit closer to me than she would come herself. But there was a fair bit of posturing with little noise.

Thanks, Pete.

7. Good shots Dennis. I like your last shot the most!!

8. Keith, Thanks.
    As Gordon pointed out there are some focus issues, but they were cute enough, I thought I'd post anyways. These were taken right down at the river (Rivershore Park if you know Kamloops at all). At higher elevations I haven't seen any babies yet, but they can't be far behind. I would think that it won't be long up your way now either.

I must admit that I took these in a bit of a hurry as I was on my way over to our local Photo Arts Club. Our guest speaker was Photographer, David Skelhon. He has been featured in our local art gallery. He takes some phenomenal shots from an ultra-light aircraft using a D70 and 70-200VR.
    Highly recommended if you get a chance to see some of his work. He currently operates out of Vernon now.

9. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Dennis,

Cute shots. Down here, we are probably a week or two ahead of you guys. We have litters of chicks everywhere at the local pond. We would have a lot less chicks if Patrick hadn't stopped by a couple of days ago just as two stray dogs started a direct charge as some of the chicks. Fortunately, he was able to chase them off before they killed any of chicks.

I got a number of shots like these last Saturday that I'm going to post later tonight. Very similar to yours except Greg and I did have excellent early morning light (sorry....;-)).

10. Bryan,

Thanks. She seemed to be trying to keep them from coming closer, but like kids they weren't paying her much attention :) :).

Frank,

Don't be sorry! I love seeing your shots with the early morning light. Early morning here is just so dam* early - sunrise is at 5:17am and getting earlier every day.

11. Hi Dennis, cute little ones. I like the mother goose yelling at her offsprings in #3. Thanks for sharing.