Port covers

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hardly ever, it just seems too large, started getting unclipped now for a month out of three!

Last edited:
Once those covers are opened, I've found them far more difficult than I expected to close them. However, once they're closed, I haven't had a problem with them opening on their own.

Having said that, my experience is very limited. I've owned the camera only about a month. Also, at least one of the covers remains open almost all of the time while the remote wired shutter release remains plugged into the camera for use in my makeshift studio.

My guess is that you're not applying all the pressure points that keep the covers closed. If making that happen isn't a solution, it's surely a manufacturing defect.

I think I know the cause of my loose port covers, and it seems the when the covers are handled there is some stretching going on and I’m sure heat from ones hands also have an effect! This makes the covers not fit properly.
Because this morning my cover is snugly back where it should be!
Hooray 😁
Nikon made a very poor choice of material for these cover! The thought of having to send my camera for repair at this time filled me with dread! I’m still of the opinion that this choice by Nikon spoils what is a superb little machine.

Real Name
Don Roy
I've never had a Nikon prior to my Z6, but in looking at body photos on the Nikon site, it's easy to see they did not invent a new cover securing method or material for the Z series. I really (really!) doubt they stretch from handling. Your 'bad design' assessment also ignores the fact that the rest of us here do not have a problem securing them. Sorry to say, but I suspect operator error.

I've never had a Nikon prior to my Z6, but in looking at body photos on the Nikon site, it's easy to see they did not invent a new cover securing method or material for the Z series. I really (really!) doubt they stretch from handling. Your 'bad design' assessment also ignores the fact that the rest of us here do not have a problem securing them. Sorry to say, but I suspect operator error.
You are wrong!

Don the stretching is a temporary affair that was exacerbated by repeatedly trying to refit the “ rubbery” cover into its housing, the cover definitely would not fit yet after a while the cover would indeed fit. Looking at a picture will not inform you as to the quality of the component. Nikon are not the only company that have made the mistake of using the type of material, Fujifilm was another manufacturer to try this “rubbery” stuff on the early X-T1 models!
For you to tell me it is operator error is really quite insulting.

I agree. I've used mine in 85F and warmer temperatures and had no problem, ever.

I’m pleased to inform you that my problem of ill fitting port covers has virtually gone away. I am still convinced the problem is down to the rubber cover stretching, which gladly seems to have abated!
I must remember the stretching cover will be an ongoing problem?
Also there is a possibility of hot fingers not helping.
I have “operated” the cover twice and have noticed that refitting the cover can be tricky to get right, I must stop fiddling with the cover. :joyful:

I had the same rubber cover problem (popping up even if I pressed hard to push it in) on my Z7. It was around 10 months after purchase, so I took it to Nikon repair (Los Angeles) and they fixed it (probably replaced it).

Don the stretching is a temporary affair that was exacerbated by repeatedly trying to refit the “ rubbery” cover into its housing, the cover definitely would not fit yet after a while the cover would indeed fit. Looking at a picture will not inform you as to the quality of the component. Nikon are not the only company that have made the mistake of using the type of material, Fujifilm was another manufacturer to try this “rubbery” stuff on the early X-T1 models!
For you to tell me it is operator error is really quite insulting.
I didnt take its as throwing an insult your way. I think he meant exactly what he said, that it wasn't in the design or execution just you didnt get them on correctly and therefore they popped open.

I open and close my covers all the time and haven't had an issue and cant see a problem with their design like others have said.

Glad to see the issue resolved though

Real Name
Aaron
I noticed the same issue with my Z6 today ... the headphone/mic port cover pops open by itself, as if the cover has grown too large for the port, so it pops up in the middle. I don't use headphones or a mic input with the camera, so doubt I have ever opened it. The cover can be closed for a short amount of time, but will pop open again by itself. An open port cover is not particularly good for "weather sealing" so I may try to tape it closed with gaffers tape until a replacement can be obtained...

I spoke with Nikon support, and they are going to send a replacement cover but do not have it in stock and no ETA on when it will be available....

I didnt take its as throwing an insult your way. I think he meant exactly what he said, that it wasn't in the design or execution just you didnt get them on correctly and therefore they popped open.

I open and close my covers all the time and haven't had an issue and cant see a problem with their design like others have said.

Glad to see the issue resolved though
zappix absolutely not true the covers were put back correctly yet still insisted on popping out! It most definitely a case of bad design + poor material choice!, I’ve even heard of some people cutting off the covers because of the aggravation.
please don’t insult me by saying I was using the wrong technique for replacing the covers. Other manufacturers such as Panasonic can get it right why can’t Nikon?

I only have the Z7 but I guess it's the same as Z6. There are multiple snap points and it is very securely closed when pushed in with all the clicks felt. It's a very tight fit so if it is misaligned slightly, the cover may not be clicked in properly.

Real Name
Aaron
Just a quick update:

Received the replacement port cover yesterday (pleasantly surprised, when told they had no ETA on them!). The replacement is a harder, more plastic-feeling material, not as soft as the original. The original port cover was about 1/16" longer than the replacement, having "grown" over time somehow, as it fit perfectly when new... Replacing the port cover was easy and straight forward. Now it works as intended!

Just a quick update:

Received the replacement port cover yesterday (pleasantly surprised, when told they had no ETA on them!). The replacement is a harder, more plastic-feeling material, not as soft as the original. The original port cover was about 1/16" longer than the replacement, having "grown" over time somehow, as it fit perfectly when new... Replacing the port cover was easy and straight forward. Now it works as intended!
When did you buy your Z?

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom