1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Featured Port of Tacoma

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by Minuteman3, Jan 15, 2019.

1. A few shots from a recent visit to the Port of Tacoma - normally a very busy place, but much quieter on a Sunday afternoon!!

Browns Point-127-Edit.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Browns Point-133-Edit.jpg

Browns Point-88-Edit.jpg

Thanks for looking!!

Ken

• Like Like x 3
  2. That second shot is awesome Ken, but then the entire set is pretty awesome in my opinion.

• Like Like x 1
  3. A wonderful b&w series, Ken!
    #3 is the most appealing scene to me.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Lovely shots, especially #2! That huge mountain at the end of the road is an amazing composition!

Cheers

Mike

• Like Like x 1
  5. Lovely! In #1 I like the contrast between the sun side and shade side of the stacked containers. And #2 shows the grit, and the beauty, so well!

• Like Like x 1
  6. The lines and contrasts in #2 couldn't be more perfect! #3 has such a beautiful feel to it. I would maybe try cropping some off the bottom.

7. nº1 and 3 for me, nº1 is and excellent composition and tones, 3 has a timeless feel.
    nº is nice too..but there are some halos around the masts, hope you take no offence. PRocessing artefact methinks

8. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Very nice, this was nominated for feature, So I selected the second image! I do however agree about the halos, might want to revisit the post work or resizing for the web.

9. JusPlainCrayzee

JusPlainCrayzee Administrator Administrator

That second shot is seriously awesome - love it!!

• Like Like x 1
  10. First, thanks so much for the feature!!

As to the halos, there doesn't seem to be much I can do. This was processed in Silver eFex 2 and even using LR's B&W conversion I'm getting a lot of banding in the sky when I bring the contrast up. Probably should have shot in RAW!! Also, I was shooting in mid afternoon with a low winter sun that's just a bit off the right side of the frame which may be messing up the lighting a bit.

I think I may go back to this locale, especially when I get my 70-200 back from service, and try this again. I think it may end up being a bit more dramatic with a longer tele lens ... and this time I'll shoot RAW!!

Again, thanks for all the comments!!

Ken

11. This is a great example why it's important to always shoot raw. You're at the right place at the right time, and have an awesome composition - then you lose all that information in the lossy jpeg compression...

Still love the pictures though :) 

Mike

• Agree Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.