1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Portable HD suggestions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ShaunK, May 12, 2011.

1. I am looking for a portable HD, brand not the issue, although I really like all my WD externals...

What I want: 1TB (500GB minimum), FW800 connection (or 400).
    I want this for storing just photos to relieve my desktop of some of its space crunch limitations, and I'm thinking of using it for my LR catalogues as well for use on multiple computers, hence the portability. I am not seeing any 1TB w/FW connections on either Amazon or Newegg...

2. Mike66

Mike66

Aug 21, 2009
    Darmstadt, Germany
    Mike
  3. Whew! I was hoping for closer to $100 or maybe a little more... but I realize I'm asking a lot.
    New question: Do I really need FW connection for what I am using this for? I figured the faster connection for the LR catalogue would be better...

4. Mike66

Mike66

Aug 21, 2009
    Darmstadt, Germany
    Mike
    With one exception, I use FW800 for all my desktop and portable external drives. The exception is the 1TB drive connected to my AirExtreme.

The only time I used the USB interface for a pair of 500GB drives was when I forgot my FW cable. I remember it took more time to perform the TimeMachine and SuperDuper backups, but I could live with it.

Here are more options that might fit your budget:
    On-The-Go Drives

5. Personally I find Firewire 800 much too slow.
    e-Sata and USB 3.0 are much faster.
    If you don't have these ports, they can usually be added with an add-in card.
    Faster hard drive access will ease frustration and give you more time to process and enjoy your photos.

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

6. Points well taken. :smile: Maybe I will just have to save a little longer and look for something more.

Is 3.0 something I can add to older computers? I'm using a MBP that is 4 years old, and an iMac that is 3 yrs. old... both have FW built in. I'm trying to keep this as simple as possible, but if adding an esata or USB 3.o port/hub is easy and realatively inexpensive, I can look into it...I'd rather just buy one item and be done with it though... :smile:

7. Shaun, yes, these ports can be added relatively inexpensively to older computers, but, as far as I know, not to Macs you have.
    Even Windows users with older computers may run into issues if there isn't an open/appropriate slot.

Changing hardware specifications seem to be one way manufacturer's get us to buy new gear.
    Without upgrading your computer resources, your options may be limited.:frown:

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2011
  8. Mike66

Mike66

Aug 21, 2009
    Darmstadt, Germany
    Mike
    Virginia is correct about adding new hardware to older systems. However, if your MBP has the 34mm accessory port on the side, you can use an eSata adapter card (I sent you a PM). I think only the newer 27-inch iMac can be modified to add an external eSata port.

OWC offers a kit, but it is not a DIY version. For anyone with a mid-2010 27-inch iMac, here is an article for a DIY eSata Port Installation on MacRumors.

9. Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  10. Tom, it also begs the question of how we migrate from one system to another.
    That's one of the reasons why I like not using external drives in fixed enclosures.

What happens when the port you've been using is no longer available or isn't backward compatible?
    Or, alternatively there is a new storage medium or way of keeping your data.

It's mind boggling when you try to think 30 years out and figure out the best way to preserve your data.

I'm in the habit of storing almost everything............:eek: 
    I hate cleaning house, but learning how to select, store and eliminate what is truly important is a good habit to learn.

Sitting here with 15-20 hard drives to go through isn't any fun.
    Now I'm trying to consolidate combining smaller drives into larger ones.
    Thank heavens for 2 TB drives!

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  11. Wow... lots ot think about!

Thanks for the link... that one looks nice, if I decide that USB is what I want.

Tom, good question. Right now, I am more than fully backed up. I have:
    1. 2TB drive for hourly Time Machine backups.
    2. 1TB drive for weekly Carbon Copy Cloner backups (fully bootable).
    3. 1TB drive for monthly CCC backups, stored off-site at my parents house.
    4. DVDs of all family pictures at the end of each year (these are the only pcitures that are absolutely irreplaceable).

You bring up a good point in that, if I am to do this, I need to figure out how to put this new drive into that backup equation. I think for now, the best way to do it is to back it up manually on occasion to one of the other drives that I already use.

Finally, I would like opinions as to whether I really need a FW connection, or if USB 2.0 will suffice for what I want out of this drive. For transferring pictures to it and from it I don't care about the speed. But, if I'm to use it for my LR catalogues, I will be working off of the drive and that's where I imagine the 2.0 speed would be a hindrance...

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  12. I suppose another option is to look into replacing the HD in my iMac, if the main thing I want this for is to ease the space crunch...

13. Since learning that 2 and 3 TB HDs can have only one disk/platter, I am more comfortable with larger storage units. 6 or 7 years ago we were fretting over the very large 4 and 8 GB flash drives, which is now the small stuff.

I manually load my backup, in sets of 3. I can now go to 3 TB, and, like Virgina, eliminate, and REUSE existing sets of drives.

14. Ronald M

Ronald M

Nov 10, 2008
    Chicago
    A graphic artist friend uses a portable Seagate to move files from work to home and back. Amazon $50 and up. It is USB powered, no AC connection required.

I have 3 LaCie one terabite externals for the photo computer. One is time machine, two drag & drop files that mirror the hard drive for permanent storage. They bit have identical files, Raid one? I just do it manually.

15. I'm really happy with my FW800 LaCie. The difference between it and my USB drives is more than tangible. Mine is a desktop model (D2 Quadra), but the external ones should have similar performance, and they're somewhat ruggedized, too, for extra data security.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.