Portable mp3 player with picture capability - suggestions ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by atlanta_man, Jun 17, 2007.

1. I'm ready for an mp3 player upgrade and was thinking of spending more and getting one of the new units that has picture replay / storage feature. The ideal would be something that could read and store my D50's SD card (directly without involving a laptop). Could then pass it around at shooting events and keep my camera in action and safe from handling.

I've been reading some reviews and have not found a consensus yet. Not really interested in putting video on the device but would like a 2 or 3 inch 320x480 screen.

Those with built in hard disks are getting down right cheap gut I really don't need that much capacity or fragility.

Your thoughts appreciated !

2. miatapaul

miatapaul

Sep 28, 2006
    If you are on a tight budget you might want to check out Creative and there "rfurbished" products. they had a "zen sleek" that was 30 gig with photo capability for $69. Not the newest model but good price.

3. or maybe think about a PDA - you should be able to pick up a Palm or Windows device with a colour screen and SD slot fairly easily.

4. Got a Cowon D2 coming.
    4GB + SD slot
    looks good

5. I bought a really nice Windows smart phone/pocket PC last year, partially thinking I would keep some of my favorite pictures on it. I wasn't blown away by it, but it was OK (HP Ipaq Phone...so I can't compare with normal pocket PC or PDA)...well, I got Allison a ipod video for Christmas and even though the screen is smaller than my pocket PC it blows it away. I was just comparing the two last night. The ipod doesn't artifact noticeably, while the pocket PC does.

6. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem
    I've yet to find a better music player than my iPods. You could get the camera connector, a USB cable, and a card reader to add the photos.

However, I have to once again admit that John Francis was right. Why bother? Memory cards are getting cheap enough to buy plenty for your shoot so you don't have to download and swap cards in the field. I just ordered two 8 GB 133x CF cards from B&H Photo - each one was $129 with a $50 rebate. Those, along with a pair of my 4 GB cards, should keep me shooting for a while.

7. davidzvi

davidzvi

Apr 30, 2005
    Massachusetts
    David