Portable Speakers for a Laptop Computer?

I use an old-ish (circa 2005 or 2006) laptop computer at my local photography club's meetings to display images on the TV. It connects via video cable to the laptop's VGA-out port (like you would connect an external monitor). This has worked fine for simply displaying images on-screen.

However, now we're thinking of presenting slideshows with sound, viewing DVD's etc, but the sound on my laptop's chintzy buit-in speaker is woefully inadequate and the video cable obviously does not transfer sound to the TV. So, I'm thinking of picking up some portable external speakers that I could connect to the laptop. Unfortunately, the laptop doesn't seem to have any audio-out RCA receptacle. :frown:

So, I'm wondering whether there are any speakers that might work from/thru one of the laptop's USB ports? Does such an animal exist? If not, does anyone have any other suggestions to play sound from the laptop loud enough for a group of about 15 people in a fairly large room?

Thanks!

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Pretty much every laptop has a 3.5mm headphone socket. That is what you use. You simply buy a speaker system designed for a desktop computer. Typically that is a base unit plus two speakers, i.e. a 2.1 system. Those always come with the 3.5mm jack plug. They plug into the mains for power.

I have three sets of the Logitech MM50 speakers and love them. They have a rechargeable 10 hour battery inside so you don't need power, and you can also insert an iPod as a sound source, as well as having an auxiliary port. They have 3" drivers, and also 3D sound technology. I use them for listening to audiobooks in the hammock by the lake, watching movies on the laptop while I'm cooking, and general music around the house if I don't want to listen on the dedicated sound system in the AV room. I was very surprised at the sound quality vs the laptop's cheesy speakers. They fold flat and fit inside the laptop case.

Unfortunately, the laptop doesn't seem to have any audio-out RCA receptacle.

Pretty much every laptop has a 3.5mm headphone socket. That is what you use. You simply buy a speaker system designed for a desktop computer. Typically that is a base unit plus two speakers, i.e. a 2.1 system. Those always come with the 3.5mm jack plug. They plug into the mains for power.

Correction: My Laptop DOES indeed have a headphone socket. (Didn't see it until now...) That opens up my options considerably. So, keep the recommendations coming, please!

I have three sets of the Logitech MM50 speakers and love them. They have a rechargeable 10 hour battery inside so you don't need power, and you can also insert an iPod as a sound source, as well as having an auxiliary port. They have 3" drivers, and also 3D sound technology. I use them for listening to audiobooks in the hammock by the lake, watching movies on the laptop while I'm cooking, and general music around the house if I don't want to listen on the dedicated sound system in the AV room. I was very surprised at the sound quality vs the laptop's cheesy speakers. They fold flat and fit inside the laptop case.

Thanks for the recommendations. Sandi, your suggestion is a bit too pricey for me. The laptop gets used basically once per month, for the meetings. I wouldn't be using the speakers any more often than that.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom