Portable Storage

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by Chris C, Aug 25, 2005.

1. I don't know if this is the proper forum, but I'm trying to decide what portable storage device to buy for a trip to the Caribbean. I've heard good things about I/O Magic's Digital Photo Library, but can't seem to find any stores that carry it. I have also had the Iomega Silver Portable HD suggested. But since I have absolutely no knowledge of these units I don't know where to start. I know there are a lot of them, and at all price ranges.

#1. I'll probably never need it after this trip, so I don't want to spend a lot of money.

#2. I'm not interested in viewing my images after they leave the camera.

#3. Size and weight aren't a problem since I'll leave it on the ship and only download at night.

#4. Download speed is of no importance to me, so slow is okay.

Can anyone take the time to help a dummy?

2. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Chris,

I use the Compact Drive PD7x to backup my images in the field. I have a 100gb drive in mine and the only bad thing about it is the battery life. Its probably due more to the fact that I skimped on the batteries and need to get some better ones.

Here is a link to a place that sells them

http://www.eastgear.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=443

and the Manufacturer

http://www.compactdrive.com/product.php?p=pd7x

It is a nice inexpensive way to backup pics in the field compared to other options out there.

Good luck

3. Patrick, I'm a little confused...................doesn't it come with a disc? You mentioned you have a 100GB capacity. I only need about 20GB, I think.

4. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Many of these PSD's can be purchased without a disk or with varying sized disks depending on your needs. Usually it's a bit cheaper to buy your own HD to put in them.

I just got the PD70X. I used to have Vosonic X's Drive Pro but it was too slow and didn't have good battery life. You could only download < 5GB on a single charge. The PD70X uses regular AA batteries which is a plus for me because I can share with flashes and GPS. It's much faster than my old PSD, and can download over 25GB on a single charge I believe.

5. Jeff, the PD70X is available through Eastgear for $150. I'm assuming that's without a HD. (does that mean hard drive?) Where do I go to buy a disc?

6. Chris, I/O Magic Photo Library has 20GB storage, is easy to use, doesn't have a bunch of lights and whistles but gets the job done. I bought mine at Radio Shack for $130 on sale.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2005
  7. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    That's the one I was thinking of Gordon. You had posted something recently about this, but I couldn't find it to point the OP toward. It sounds like just the thing.

8. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Just about any computer place should be able to sell you a laptop HD. The $150 price is indeed without a drive. I think the slightly older PD7X is quite a bit cheaper (also not quite as good battery life and a bit slower, but still faster than most other PSD's). I just recently upgrade my Laptop's HD with an 80GB model that I got from NewEgg for about $100, and put my old 40GB drive in the PD70x.

9. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    Hi Chris,

There are some threads on this forum discussing portable storage devices (just search for "portable storage").

You may be interested in the following thread:

https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=51270

I think Ken-L wrote some results using the OTG, but I can't find it anymore (maybe some part of the site here is down now). The OTG should be relatively inexpensive.

I use the X-drive, but it's rather slow. It comes with built-in card slots for CF and others and has 20GB (the one I got, there are larger ones). Again, it may be worth looking for other options, which are faster and have a longer battery life.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  10. (Gordon, I thought you had the I/O Magic Digital Photo Library, not the Iomega. ?????)

You guys have me all mixed up................If I get a PD70X, I need to get a disc to hold 20, 40, 80, or 100GB. Is that correct? Then after I download my images into it, I carry it to my computer and download the images from the PD70X to my main computer. Isn't that how it works? Why do I need to buy a hard drive also?

11. Okay, let me put it in the form of a question:

I want to buy a PD70X and only want 20 GB of memory. What, exactly, do I need to purchase to download my pictures on the 70X and then onto my computer when I get home from my trip?

12. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Like all these PSD's, the PD70X uses a laptop hard drive for storage. You can either buy it with the hard drive already installed, or order your own hard drive and install it yourself. Eastgear sells it with or without the HD installed. For instance: http://www.eastgear.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=17_66&products_id=444

13. Okay Jeff, I get it now. When I first got into Digital Cameras, I had a lot to learn, now I've a lot more to learn. Thanks for the explaination.

14. Chris, have you been looking in my closet? :wink: Your right, I do have the I/O Magic Photo Library. :redface: :redface:

15. sfoxjohn

sfoxjohn

May 1, 2005
    Marlton, NJ
  16. Jeff,

Can you really d/l 25GB on PD70X on single charge ? I can do about 10GB more or less with 2500mah Energizer.

17. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    The manufacturer claims 50GB of transfer per charge on the PD70x, 35GB per charge on the PD7x. The PD70x is new for me and I haven't put those claims to the test yet but based on user reports at DPR I would expect to get more than 10GB. Battery age, hard drive choice (bigger usually means faster), and card speed probably come into play here as well. I'm guessing to get 50GB you need to be using cards that can actually max out the 16MB/s transfer rate (ie Sandisk Extreme III). I'm using Sandisk Ultra II's currently (2 x 2GB).

18. Jeff,

I'm using 4GB Ultra II and 1 GB Ultra II. Model is PD7X w/ 40GB drive on 2500mah Energizer.

I am able to run 4GB twice and 1-2 1GB cards on single charge.

19. Okay guys, I've been out of town for the past three days. While I was gone, I read everything I could get my hands on concerning the PD70X and the I/O Magic. Granted, I'd love to have the PD70X, but in all reality I think the I/O Magic Digital Photo Library will do all I'll ever need. Thanks for all the input and patience with this newbie.

20. I have been using a Mindstor 10 GB unit for some years now without a hitch ever. I remember these units getting a bad rap in the various forums, but mine still works (and looks) like it is new.
    I just recently got myself the 30 GB Nikon Coolwalker. I have yet to take it into the field, but I like it a lot. Nice features and sold build.