Portable strobes for sports lighting

Discussion in 'Studio Equipment and Lighting' started by twig, Jul 16, 2005.

1. twig

twig

May 23, 2005
    Anybody doing this?

Dave Black has some interesting tutorials form his ranch,
    The cost of entry isn;t too awfully high for two strobes say, and it looks like fun - anybody try crawling around rafters to mount your own strobes for an event?

As an aside, has anyone shot at Madison Square Garden on the floor much? I might be shooting some Liberty (Womens basketball games) and am interested in what lenses and ISO's people have used in the Garden. When I am there I am going to inquire about strobes, either tying into somebody else's or gaining permission to set up my own.

2. mrdinh

mrdinh

Mar 8, 2005
    North Dakota
    i was told from a sportshooter friend that certain sports arenas have strobes already installed in them...all you have to do is pay for the rental...and they turn them on for ya...maybe contact a sport photog on sportshooter website?

3. JackG

JackG

May 31, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Twig,

MSG is one of those arenas that has built in strobes.

Jack

4. twig

twig

May 23, 2005
    Thanks, I will defintely talk to them when I get there before trying anything myself, if I can use their strobes that would be fantastic.

5. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Hey Twig,

I think shooting basketball at MSG is one of thoses venues where an 85mm f/1.4 is the hot item. I hope to buy one early this fall for H.S. basketball. I have no idea how they deal with strobes in a pro venue, but strobes in a H.S. or College gym works out great. The shadows with an on-camera flash are terrible as I am sure you are aware.

6. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Most of those arenas don't provide the strobes instead the photographer does. I know at Joe Louis Arena in Detroit and the Palace of Auburn Hills do not provide them instead the local papers and other pro photographer have there own lights installed.
    This seems to be a pretty good place to learn about strobes for sporting events.
    http://www.arenastrobes.com/

I am considering a set for the up coming United Hockey League season when I shoot for the Motor City Mechanics.

Dave