Portable, Viewable Storage?

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by chrisyd, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Hello all!

I'm in the market for viewable storage like a Jobo unit or similar. Anyone have an opinion or used one that is worth mentioning? I have a trip coming up that might fill my memory cards quickly and want to make sure that I have an avenue to transfer files on site to keep shooting. Thanks!

2. I have actually been researching this for a couple of months now and there are a couple to consider:
    Wolverine
    Epson P-3000
    Picture Porter
    HyperDrive

All of them seem to have their pros and cons, but yesterday, I closed my eyes and decided to get the Epson P-3000. I am not sure I made the right decision, but when it arrives, I can provide feedback.

3. adaml

adaml

Feb 21, 2006
    chicago
    I did some exhaustive research before I pulled the trigger on the Epson P3000.

None of the other units came close on image quality, reliability, etc.

Yes, it's expensive. But it comes under the heading of "you get what you pay for."

4. isayx3

isayx3

Apr 12, 2008
    Corona, Ca
    I use the Cowon a3 for several reasons.

* It's one of the cheapest ($300 for 30gb)

* It's a media player that plays almost every codec in the book..so not only you can use it to view photos but it plays almost every video and audio file.

* Component video out for higher quality (only outputs at 480p though)

* You can also use it to record video

* Although it doesn't have a CF reader..it does act like a USB host..and you can hook up most Nikons straight to it via usb. (ive tried a d300 and d3). Does work with some card readers too.

* Has the highest res screen of the bunch 800x480. (even the epson is only 640 x 480)

* Does read .nef files

* They have offices in Irvine CA...support is great...my wife dropped mine..and I sent it in and they had it back within days.

Potential Downsides

* Since I have never used the jobo or the epson..i do not know what photo specific functions these have.

* Doesnt seem to recognize Canon cameras via USB host...in that case should probalby use a card reader.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cowon a3

5. i love my Jobo Giga Vu pro.

It has the CF slot, and can play video's, MP3's and movies idf i want it too.....i know some like other brands because they can play all of the whizz bang codecs, but i only want mine for picture backup and simple editing in the field, bought a 60 gig version on e-bay for $175 refurbished.

6. I did the same and am very happy with mine.

7. Pesto126

Pesto126

Apr 13, 2006
    Northeast USA
    Not sure if the size is a bit too much for what you want, but I just picked up a Acer Aspire One for $345 that is a 2 lb notebook - full windows XP, intel ATOm processor, 8" screen with a 3 hour battery.. Been using it to surf web remotely but also to download images from my camera to the 120GB drive - it has built in memory card reader and have run CS3 on it. coupled with faststone, it is a great system worth considering!

8. pirahnah3

pirahnah3

Feb 22, 2008
    wuss-tah
    I had looked into a few of these also and decided to check ebay and ended up stumbling across a Fujitsu touchscreen lap top with XP 1oo gig hd and a 10.4 in screen picked it up for around $200 and it even has built in wireless

9. Very sorry for not posting but my travels have kept me away from the computer. There are a few names of devices that I have yet to hear of and will check them out for sure. I did have a chance to make it to Best Buy last night while I was away and for the twenty minutes I had before closing, they had no idea what I was talking about. LOL! Made that easy eh?

Pesto, your idea crossed my mind last night. For some of the viewable storage prices, I could get something like you mentioned. My fossil of a laptop is in need of replacement.

I will try to use some of these ideas for search tonight and see what works. Thanks again everyone!

10. NateD

NateD Guest

I have an Epson P2000 which I love...nice big screen and it holds up to 40GB
    sometimes, it's a little slow on the download (mainly when I'm at a wedding and impatient), but it does the job fine

11. Pesto126

Pesto126

Apr 13, 2006
    Northeast USA
    Yeah Scott.. I highly recommend checking it out. I'm typing this message from it now at Panera after having just downloaded over 4 GB of photos from a shoot this morning... I am rating and culling through them now as well.. for basically the same cost as a mini portable hard drive, I have a full featured PC... these ultraportable notebooks are only getting better and better.. the new Dell is supposed to be quite nice as well. They sell them at Best Buy too..

Good luck!

12. I have an Epson P-2000. On balance I like the Epsons for image quality and feature set vice price. Good value, high quality, and rugged I think.

I would offer an alternative that might appeal to some. The new ultra-portable PCs now available or being released are very attractive and cost competitive with the best of the portable image viewers. Look at the Acer Aspire One, ASUS eEE, MSI Wind, HP 2133 Micro Note, and Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

13. Walter

Walter

Jan 13, 2006
    Columbia, Maryland
    Walter Rowe
    I too have an Epson P-2000. It has served me well for four years. Were I in a position to do so and could justify the expense, I would upgrade to one of the newer Epson models. The older ones are much slower in downloading images from the CF card to the disk. The newer ones are WAY faster.

I have thought about ultra portable PCs. The problem I have with them is they take too long to boot up and become usable, take up too much room, are too heavy, and require maintenance of an operating system. My Epson device is small, light weight, ready for action in seconds, and turns itself off when it is done. I can plug in a CF card, start the download, put the device back in its pouch, put the pouch back in my bag, and come back later to retrieve the CF card.

14. I am testing the Acer Aspire One and I've looked at the ASUS eEE and MSI Wind. I haven't seen the others except on their respective makers' sites. The Acer I have is not as much heavier then my P-200 as one might expect. It has 2GB of memory and 120B HD. The long battery life allows me to put it to sleep as I go out for a shoot and then "wake" it in seconds to download the contents of a card, just as one might do with the P-2000.

The downside of the Acer (and proably other similar systems) is:
    - the size and weight compared to the dedicated portable viewers.
    - less portability (not easily pocketable)
    - no CF card slots (I use a USB adapter, irritating but not too inconvenient)

The upside is:
    - the screen size
    - the storage capacity (a small plus really)
    - edit capabilities if desired
    - screen show/playback improvements (at least compared to my P-2000)

15. Pesto126

Pesto126

Apr 13, 2006
    Northeast USA
    I guess it all comes down to what you really want/need. If you just want a storage device, then you can't beat something like a dedicated photo drive for portability and instant access. If you want something a bit more, then the new portable machines are amazing - at less than 2.2 lbs, you get a lot for you $$. Another route.. portable mp3 players such as the cowan brand.. I have a Cowan that has a 30 GB drive and is the size of a pack of cards.. I have hooked up my camera to it via usb and downloaded photos with no problem. it has a tiny color screen on it just to make sure things transferred ok.. quick, portable and has other uses but small screen. Good luck with your decision..

16. I have the Wolverine 120GB and for the price it is hard to beat. The only thing I would like different is if the card went entirely into the case. As it is, the card sticks out fairly far and even though I have never broken one, I can see it happening in the field. The picture is smaller than the Epson but the price is several hundred dollars less.

If you are just going to take pictures and download them at night, I agree with Mike that the new small laptops are great. I would buy the MSI Wind today if it had a CF card slot. But, they are all too big to take in the field if you are carrying a lot of gear and a long way from the car/hotel. And, it only has 120GB hard drive, the same as my Wolverine.

17. This is more information then expected. The options seem endless and I might have to break all these down on a spread sheet for comparison...LOL! Thanks everyone for giving me a ton of ammunition to work with.

18. Pesto126

Pesto126

Apr 13, 2006
    Northeast USA
    You are welcome.. good luck - let us know how you make out with your decision!