1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Portfolio/Photoshoot with daughter

Discussion in 'People' started by corns5, Sep 28, 2008.

1. corns5

corns5

Mar 21, 2008
    Florida
    I shot these this morning, and am really happy with them. Just beginning to sort through the many. I miss my daughter in college and when she comes home she not only lights up the room with her beauty outside, but with her wonderful and outgoing personality. Boy do I miss her!

p271855665-4.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. leahp26

leahp26

Apr 28, 2008
    Southern NH
    Carol - she is stunning! Really beautiful. I bet she misses you too!

3. Carol, number one is soft with motion blur. 1/25 second is too slow for 110mm. The crop and pose are nice, but the image as a whole probably isn't portfolio quality. What sort of portfolio is this for anyway? Modeling or your own photo port? You need to work on compositions in the others. Her face is smack dab in the middle of the frame. Generally, this doesn't work well, and these photos are no exception. I would like to see a little more of her wonderful personality that you mention. These photos don't really showcase that IMHO. In the last two shots, she looks sad. The last image looks like she should be holding an jail ID number below her chin... It looks like a crop from a mug shot. She's a pretty girl. Just work on your compositions and her expressions to bring out the beauty we all know is there.

4. Beautiful

What a beautiful girl. I really like number one and number four. Number one is a little soft but I think whitening and sharpening the eyes will make the photo really pop. I think the same thing will work for number four. You can remove the freckles but that will take away some of the youthfulness.

You did a nice job.

Dave

5. Sidetrippin

Sidetrippin Guest

She needs not to be shy at the camera...

its like a flat photo... as Medic1210 said work on the composition... I too would suggest on getting the right exposure ;) 

other than that... shes a lovely young girl.

6. dan1son

dan1son

Sep 24, 2007
    Austin
    I agree with a lot of what was said. Number 1 appears to have some motion blur. #2 is really nice, but could probably be improved a little by shifting her to the left some more, or the right and try to remove the shadow. I'd shoot both and take a look in post...

Three and four are both a bit flat lighting wise. I don't mind the "sad" look if it portrays her.

There's nothing wrong with trying a bunch of compositions until you get a good feel for what's going to look good. Normally dead center compositions are weak and don't display a lot of feeling... just kind of a, "Oh there's another face." I do think the first two with the hair to one side could really turn out to be pretty interesting with an off center composition.

She's most definitely stunning, but I'm sure you knew that :) 

7. corns5

corns5

Mar 21, 2008
    Florida
    I should only have such a mug!! lol

I know I know I need to improve my photography.... Thats why i asked in other photos if my lenses were soft, and all said they were fine! I guess it's my lack of experience showing here. We learn more from critiquing than getting it right, and I am encouraged to forge away here. This is for her, not me, and eventually a portfolio for me, if it turned out. I guess it did not! Oh well.:frown:

8. Carol, don't get discouraged, it takes time. Keep at it and show more pictures for critique, that's how you learn. You have someone to practice with so you have lots of oppertunities.
    I am still learning.

9. Don't be too hard on yourself! I'd like to try some recropping and PP with the pictures, if you don't mind.

10. corns5

corns5

Mar 21, 2008
    Florida
    Thankyou, Al, you have my permission! I would love to see what you get! Thank you all for your encouragement, and I keep myself encouraged, otherwise I would put the camera in a dark spot and forget it, and believe me I have been tempted to do that but I love photography way too much.

11. Keeping in mind I am by no means good at PP-ing, here is what I did to each of them:
    1. Adjusted color balance
    2. Increased saturation
    3. Brightened the picture a little using curves
    4. Applied Sonyam's eye pop procedure
    5. Cropped for a tighter framing

In addition, on the first picture only, I smoothed out her skin a little with Noise Ninja.

I find the inner tips of her eyes next to her nose a little white. I can't decide whether it is glare or make up (my wife doesn't do make up, so being an unrefined male, I am completely in the dark!:confused: ), so I left it alone.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I hope you like them.

12. I wasn't trying to discourage you. If you truly want to learn and improve, you need to hear more than "Oh, she's beautiful, you did a great job!" I hope my comments weren't taken wrong.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.