portfolio

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by IRPhoto, Jul 22, 2008.

1. IRPhoto

IRPhoto

May 12, 2008
    Nova Scotia
  2. wendy

wendy

Jul 5, 2008
    PA
    Tough call. Who is going to view your portfolio?

3. IRPhoto

IRPhoto

May 12, 2008
    Nova Scotia
    Sports teams & newspapers.

Are my photos good? I'm only 18-years-old and I'm still learning.

4. Ian,

I think you're doing OK. Some look a little soft to me, so I would avoid those no matter what. JMHO.

Check out sportsshooters.com and look at their page on how to join and submit your portfolio for their review. I think there are some good tips there.

Some of the editors on this board might have different advice, but I would also suggest some shots different than just someone batting...good action at each base, don't forget the outfield, different viewpoint for pitchers etc. Show that you can 'get the shot'.

Also, I think you should add a caption for each picture

Good luck.

5. Ian you really need to pick your best of the sports first, there are a lot of images to go through. As Mark has also said take a look at sportsshooter.com even if you don't plan on joining just yet it will give you some great details on what they are looking for.

As a little start pick your best and crop them to your liking. I saw a bunch on your site that could use it.

6. IRPhoto

IRPhoto

May 12, 2008
    Nova Scotia
    Which of those are my best photos?

7. Ian,

It's a little hard to choose what are your best, after all you have to stand behind them and say this is some of my best work... You have to choose and be able to convince an editor not only is it your best, but that it's better work than the other people in line for the assignment.

And as Geoff mentioned, there are some that need some work. For example, the one of the car race at the checkered flag: I think I would straighten the horizon, crop a bit tighter as well. YMMV.

You could also test market your portfolio among some of your teachers. Choose what you think are your 7-10 best, print them and ask for some comments. Just a thought.

8. Ian quite honestly you need to cull them down first. You need to have a feeling on what is your best work. Then post you best like 20 to see what others think, if there are a few people don't think should be there you remove and possibly find new work, or just leave it be. Its more your preference.