1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Portrait Backgrounds

Discussion in 'People' started by wendy, Jul 18, 2008.

1. wendy

wendy

Jul 5, 2008
    PA
    Can anyone suggest a good, portable background? Botero? Lastolite? Extended train? I would love shades in white, black and/or gray. Thanks in advance for the reply.

2. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    Wendy - I think your questions is too vague...not sure what you are asking. Are you asking about weight, size, manufacturer? All backgrounds are portable...but if size is what you are wanting, I would say a 10x10 and very lightweight. You might want to re-ask you question.

3. wendy

wendy

Jul 5, 2008
    PA
    Apologies for the vagueness. I am interested in hearing testimonials from people whom have purchased similar items. I have been searching to usual camera stores in NYC and find pages and pages of product on their websites yet when I call with questions (size? weight? quality?) the service reps don't have answers.

I am shooting a senior portrait early next month and the mom wants an inside 'studio' shot and the senior wants outside shots.

Ideally, a response such as this would be great... Wendy, I would go with X manufacturer in the extended train size. X brand has done me well for these reasons and you will be happier getting the extended train size if your portraiture work continues. I bought a 5x7' background at first and learned within months when my portraiture work continued that the 5x7' was useless and I sold it shortly thereafter.

Better? I am not adverse to expanding my arsenal of equipment as long as the purchase is an investment and not a quick solution to satisfy this one client.

Thanks again,

Wendy

4. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    Well IMHO...you need to try and be the mod here and do both. I am primarily an ON LOCATION photographer...but lately I have been asked to do in-studio so I researching my backgrounds and have found HOYA to have lots of good ones. Hoya is in China, however they deliver really quickly. Here are some of my shots I've taken.

I will say that seniors love color...so do something very colorful.

I am not familar with those items you mentioned.

small.

COLLAGE2.

COLORIMGL3449copy.

TRAVIS.

5. If you have enough space, just get a gray paper roll.

If you shoot it same exposure as the subject it's gray. If you light it, 2 stops over your subject it's white, and if you light it 2 stops under your subject, it's black :) 

6. Montec

Montec

Jul 26, 2007
    British Columbia
    And with Gels it can be any colour you like!

7. wendy

wendy

Jul 5, 2008
    PA
    Wonderful everyone! Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.