Portrait class

Discussion in 'People' started by Ping279, Jul 27, 2007.

1. Well this was my first assignment for my portrait class... the assignment was two different poses. Pose #1 was the models feet to be facing a 3 o clock position in relation to the camera with their shoulders at 7 o clock, then the second pose was their feet at 4 o clock with their shoulders at 8, both with a rembrant style of lighting. Minimal editing was done to all images... hope you enjoy :smile:

Pose #1

Pose #2

View attachment 108217

Pose #1

View attachment 108218

Pose #2

View attachment 108219

2. The lighting was set up with one umbrella to the photographer's left and to the side of the model set on full power as well as a large soft box set to the photographers right and in front of the model set on 1/4 power to give a 5/1 ratio.

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Very nice

4. Not enough face. There's this little head in a sea of black. Get closer.

5. Ottrott's Human

Ottrott's Human

May 21, 2006
    USA
    Hi Nathan,
    Good first attempt and two lovely models.....lucky you.

Your Rembrandt lighting is pretty good.....especially in #'s 3 and 4 where the triangle is a bit more defined on her left cheek.

I agree with Woody about the framing. Either get closer next time or if you have large enough files I'd crop-in to bring the face closer to the viewer and have it fill more of the frame.

Also I think you are underexposing. Opening up a stop would have helped with the third and fourth.....possibly even two stops on the first and second. F/16 is a mighty small aperture for this kind of work. If your lights are set that high I'd turn them down and get your aperture range in the f/6-f/10 range for shots like these.

All-in-all a very good first attempt.

Nice work.

6. The images have interesting lighting but nothing to separate the black clothing from the black background. This leaves you with a bunch of black and then the small head. I agree with Woody, move in close and do a head shot and/or get your model to wear something other than black. These could be quite nice as a head shot. Keep at it you have a good lighing sense but they appear to be underexposed.

7. Well in response...
    For one, I actually was forced to compose the shot as is for my homework assignment. However, I do agree with you guys on the composition. If it were up to me, I would have been much tighter.
    Second, it does look a little dark but I was also forced to shoot at f/16. My teacher wanted everyone who shot at iso 100 to shoot the assignment at f/11 and all others who shot at 200 to use f/16.
    Finally, I had actually forgotten about part of the lighting that I used. I also had three 2x6 soft boxes, one on the top of background, and one on either side set at 1/4 power to separate them from the background. The 1/4 power was also determined by our teacher :tongue:

Just for fun, I took the liberty to brighten one of the shots up... better?