Portrait done by my own gear

Discussion in 'Formal Portraits and Weddings' started by GonzoBernelli, Oct 10, 2017.

1. A few friends, plus yours truly, from my local camera store are taking lessons from yet another friend who know a lot about using studio lighting. Sunday last we met up indoors, set up my 65 inch Profoto umbrella with diffuser on one of my new B1X. we all tools scads of photos, moving light closer and farther with and without a silver or white reflector on the opposite side to the umbrella. when it was my turn to be the "model" a camera was thrust into my hand, some posing instructions were given and the following was the result out of my D850 using the 85mm Otus. Right side illumination was from a soft white reflector. Full res is not possible here, but this is an 8x10" 120 pip result. It turned out so well I'm thinking of turning it into a business card...

Nick-2017-10-08-8x10_00001-120ppi.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Nice Nick, very nice!

3. raygun

raygun

Nov 17, 2007
    USA
    Superb quality photo Nick! I wish I had a clue about studio lighting myself, buy you have it nailed. The only thing I would touch is the errant eyebrow hair over your right eye. I have lots of those myself, so I should talk...

BTW, I used a similar pose for my facebook photo when I first signed up on that service, and after posting it my millennial daughter simply made the observation that I shouldn't use photos of myself that are so serious. Fortunately, your expression has a nice hint of a smile to it that makes it perfect as a "customer-facing" portrait... :)

4. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Outstanding! So much friendlier and inviting that your current avatar! LOL!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Nick, this is a killer image and one you should be proud of taking. Not even a hint of reflection in the glasses and the skin tone is right on. Well done.

6. I realize that you're focusing a bit on gear, but I've just gotta mention that the impact of this photo comes from showing your personality. Clean up the spots in the background on the left side and you've got a wall hanger, not to mention a business card.

7. Walter

Walter

Jan 13, 2006
    Columbia, Maryland
    Walter Rowe
    Super portrait. I would get rid of that large dark spot on the left edge of the background.

8. Never noticed the spot before it was mentioned. Darned dust bunnies even breed in virgin environments! I did notice the hair, however. Repair will be effected this evening...

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Thank you all for your kind comments. Here is the repaired image.

Nick-2017-10-08-8x10_00001-120ppi.

Would any of you add catchlights in the eyes?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Walter

Walter

Jan 13, 2006
    Columbia, Maryland
    Walter Rowe
    That's a keeper.

11. Took the avatar hint as well, Karen:whistle:

• Like Like x 2
  12. 4 books helped me tremendously to "understand" studio lighting. Now there is just a lot of practice.

Roberto Valenzuela's "Picture Perfect Lighting"
    Tony Corbell's "Light and Shadow For Studio Portrait Photography" and "L & S For Location Portrait Photography"
    Rossella Vanon's "Lighting People"

Anyone feel free to add to this list. Eventually the list can be PINNED to the appropriate place for permanently sharing information among members of the Cafe.

13. Have you checked your sensor? The reason I ask is that it's not possible to know from viewing your photo whether the problem is a dust bunny on your sensor or an issue with the background. My experience is that far too often most people automatically assume the problem is a dust bunny on the sensor.

14. Having seen your latest revision, consider taking the image to the next level by adding a slight vignette to the background to create tonal interest in that part of the photo that also improves the framing of your very nice portrait.

15. JusPlainCrayzee

JusPlainCrayzee Administrator Administrator

An outstanding image; I wouldn't change a thing.

16. I tried some vignettes in photoshop and decided they detract from this image - the high contrast clothing and my bald head against a neutral background is enough, i think.

17. I agree, vignettes are overblown.

18. Sensor was clean as a whistle, must have been something on backdrop

19. It's interesting that your self portrait works just as well when displayed in the avatar's small size as when displayed in the thread's much larger image. That proves to me that your idea of using it on a business card would also be an equally appealing display.

20. very nicely done... great shot