Portrait for critique

Discussion in 'People' started by Kevin Scott, Dec 13, 2005.

1. Here is a portrait I did a little while ago of my daughter's boyfriend. Even though he was anxious to "model" the purpose was really for me to get some additional practice and to try out some location shooting locales.

My purpose is to come up with ideas for high school senior portraits and that would also be the target audience. We were going for a shot with more of an attitude, rather than some cheezy smile so I can forsee some comments about his sullen expression. Aside from that, what do you think of this shot?

It's been cropped to an 8x10 ratio. Btw, he's a swimmer and has a pretty dark tan. And it was late afternoon just before sunset which might account for a slightly saturated skin tone. I don't typically add saturation on people pics. :wink:

70-200VR @ 105mm, f4, 1/30, ISO160, handheld with natural light and no fill flash
    [​IMG]

Thanks for any feedback!

2. lowlight_junkie

lowlight_junkie

Nov 28, 2005
    Looks great to me Kevin, I'm sure he's a hit with the ladies! Nice use of the empty space to the right, gives the portrait some depth.

3. Kevin, I like the expression on his face. Good composition, lighting and color.
    I wouldn't change a thing.

4. He's a good looking kid - too bad he's frowning.

5. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    Great photo. It is beyond my talent/technical level to be able to suggest any improvement. Meaning, I don't know how it could be improved. I really liked the photo. I just hope my teenage daughter doesn't see it.:biggrin:

6. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Good posing Kevin, putting him against the white wall for some reflection into the shadowed side of his face. I know what you mean about smiles - unless they're very natural, they do look cheesey. This shot looks like a good model pose, the non-commital expression and all. Have you considered just a tiny bit of fill though, so his eyes would have that dot in them? (Or you could PS it in there ... Nah - I didn't say that!)

ps, better keep an eye on your daughter...

7. It looks like he has beautiful (blue?) eyes and I would have used fill flash to bring them out more. Other than that, good job!

8. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    That's a beautiful portrait picture. I like the bright background bringing out the (natural) tanned skin of the young man. And, oh yes, no cheesy smile :biggrin: . I won't show the picture to my daughter, who knows what might happen.

9. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Nice work Kevin, with a good pose, and good composition. I'd be tempted to Dodge his Iris' a little to bring out the color more.

10. Thank you everyone for your feedback on this shot! I may go back into PS and try to lighten up the eyes. I did moderately dodge his irises but try not to overdo them.

Thanks for taking the time to comment!

11. Nice portrait Kevin. I like the soft lighting, but would have liked a touch more detail of his hair (and I agree on the earlier comments about the eyes). Composition wise I would crop out the right side a tad, although I read you want it to respect 8X10. Not knowing the original pic. maybe a vertical portrait 8X10 is doable??
    I'm sure he is very happy with your portrait (and I'd guess your daughter is also :smile: :smile: ) - nice job!

12. I like this shot, fine looking boy and he does look like a swimmer. I would lighten the whole image just a tiny bit.

13. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I like it. Good use of ambient light, exposure looks good, skintones look accurate for somebody with a tan, posing is fine. I'm not sure about the horizontal crop, it feels like there's a little too much empty space. Maybe if it was a tighter crop horizontal would be OK, otherwise I think vertical might be better. Nice job though.

14. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    You know, it just occurred to me that you could hit it with 2-5% S&H in PS, then see if the Irises still need any more lightning.

15. Thanks again for the continued feedback. A member was kind enough to send me their version of the edited photo and I see the merit of bumping the exposure a tad to lighten him up. This probably won't be used for print but rather just for advertising on my website so I probably won't spend a tremendous amount of time on it. I'm glad for the feedback though as it gives me something to watch for in the future. Always so many things to thing about during the shot!

16. Great photo. I think it works really well against the white background of the web page because it blends with the photograph. The white color draws all your attention to the subject whose skin tone contrasts so well with the background. The only thing I would change is to maybe get him to smile a little more.

17. SSSSSTTTTTT. Don't talk to loud Chris!!! Speaking about ps things in the photo. That is the best kept photographers secret.

About the photo it is good looking photo. I could have added little bit more sharpness. But for the rest great photo.