Portrait help needed d300

So I just upgraded from the D90 to a used D300 and I've come crashing into the harsh reality that the camera does not make the photographer. OK so it is not all that surprising, I see it here every day but I thought somehow my photos would be a little better. I am missing the portrait mode on my d90, I didn't use it all the time but it was a nice crutch to fall back on.

I have the d300 in Program mode - I'm looking for suggestions on what would have been better settings for outdoor portraits. I think I changed the Aperture and the camera chose the other settings. I'm using a Nikon 70-300mm lens and these were taken at 105mm. ISO 640, Shutter 1/1000 f4.5. No flash, Pattern metering mode.

The eyes are just not as sharp as I'd like them in any of the photos.

5028550088_49d58016aa_b.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

5027934559_21677cf9cb_b.jpg

5027934981_8c1c7fdce8_b.jpg

So far I've purchased the book, David Busch's Nikon D300 Guide and Nikon D300 Made Easy Training DVDs Videos 1 and 2. I plan on practicing and reading up but if there are any tips the d300 owners could give me I'd really appreciate it. I'd love some feedback on the poses also, I know they are really boring I just can't seem to pose the kids any better. ugh... I'm feeling discouraged today. :frown:

I dont think the eyes are soft. I think more importantly they need more light. I would have shot these in manual mode and lowered the ISO and adjusted shutter to suit.

I think the poses are fine, the first one she is squinting(it happens), 2nd is the best of the group and third take some of the angle away and have her lift her head just a tad.

The 2nd shot is really close IMHO just a touch more light in here eye and your there!

Don't be discouraged enjoy the great camera you have!!!!

yomoe, these look fine to me. However most experts use some sort of retouching or sophisticated lighting. With a little work on the eyes these would pop a bit more. For this you could use Lightroom or Photoshop, etc.
They are well above average as they are though.

I dont think the eyes are soft. I think more importantly they need more light. I would have shot these in manual mode and lowered the ISO and adjusted shutter to suit.

I think the poses are fine, the first one she is squinting(it happens), 2nd is the best of the group and third take some of the angle away and have her lift her head just a tad.

The 2nd shot is really close IMHO just a touch more light in here eye and your there!

Don't be discouraged enjoy the great camera you have!!!!

Thanks! I have got to get better with the lighting. I have an external flash and a light diffuser. I never think to bring it outside. I'll have to try it.

yomoe, these look fine to me. However most experts use some sort of retouching or sophisticated lighting. With a little work on the eyes these would pop a bit more. For this you could use Lightroom or Photoshop, etc.
They are well above average as they are though.

I edited them in Aperture (mac). I am still learning that also. I think you guys are right about the light. The second two girls have amazing pale green eyes and they really look quite dark here.

Here is one of all three of them:
5027933899_d14473ff45_b.jpg

I think these are cute.

Someone once told me to use flash outside and to not use flash inside. This may seem counterintuitive, but it works. You need to learn how to use a bit of fill flash for these to add some light and sparkle to these cute eyes.

Even a reflector to bounce some light back into their faces and eyes would have made a difference. These are great shots. Just need a little lighting like mentioned above.

I found, to my surprise, that the 70-300 performs exceptionally well as a portrait lens. Very sharp..... but it does need some extra light. I little bit of fill-in flash may just be enough to enhance the contrast, and make the eyes pop. I fashioned a 12 x 18 cm diffuser that I can pop onto the SB-800, and the combo with the 70-300 is great.

Thymen.

I think these look great. Had you added a reflector to brighten faces you would have that pop in the eyes you were looking for, I think. You done good!

Thanks for the great advice guys! It is good to know what went wrong, now I can work on fixing it. It is raining here today and tomorrow, I'll get out soon for a do over.

Latest threads

Top Bottom