portrait in a hurry..

Discussion in 'People' started by cwilt, Jul 5, 2005.

1. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    We were in a hurry today but my daughter looked so cute I had to get a picture. Set the lights up quickly into a new style I wanted to try. I normally meter each light but this time I just used iTTL. Shot with 50mm f1.8 set at 5.6. What do you think? I really need to work on poses. :(

[​IMG]

2. I think that is a delightful look on her face.

The image suggests she has a very sweet disposition.

3. Excellent capture Charles. The loop lighting pattern is nicely controlled. Wonderful expression on your daughter's face. Exposure and composition are right on. Very nice.

4. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Great capture Charles....how do you say "no" to a beautiful young lady like that? She's sweet!

5. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Let me ask a personal question. What you have done differently? Sometimes I can't see the forest for the trees.

Thanks for the nice comments. :)

6. Simon

Simon

Apr 30, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Thats a great portrait - very cute kid

The detail looks very impressive.

7. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Very very nice work Charles

Describe your lighting setup?

8. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Re: Very very nice work Charles

Main was at subject right at about a 45 angle to camera. Fill was also sujbect right but behind at a 45. Reflector was at subjects left. Lights were SB600's with medium softboxes and iTTL metering.

Fill could have been a little higher and main a little closer to camera.

9. Charles,

Sometimes I don't think I'm "qualified" to critique here because I don't know anything about formal studio lighting... you know, the stuff in books and whatnot. I just push lights around until I get something I like and shoot, and folks like my work... a lot.

Having said that, if I had taken this picture I would erase those spots on her right eye, frame it and enjoy it.

To each his own, but for me if it looks good it is good.

Woody

10. I think your lighting is very good. Love the highlights in her hair on the right. I'm with Woody, clean up the corner of her right eye, print it, frame it and then enjoy.

11. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Woody,

Sometimes I don't feel qualified to critique my own images, let alone another persons. That is why we are here though. To teach and learn from others. Nikons creative lighting system is about the only thing I seem to have a firm grasp of. While I can teach very little, I can learn a lot from those on this forum. Most have many more years experience under their belt, and that experience is better than any book. I have probably driven Iliah to drinking by now with my silly questions and thoughts. :shock:

I move lights around or try to copy something I have seen. If it works then I do my best to remember it and pass it along to others. If it didn't work I try to understand why. I used to try and get nice modeling on my daughters face and the images always seemed to moody for her. Then I realized that nobody wants to see their child moody. Children should be up beat, and vibrant so a flatter lighting style works better. At least that's the way I see it.

Mommy said that the birth mark must stay because it is apart of her. :lol:

Kind regards,

12. In that case just frame it and enjoy it... and make copies for all the kin!

Woody