Portrait Lighting Questions

Hi Cafe!

So I have a couple of soft boxes, a tungsten lamp and a few strobes. I am just starting on portrait photography and I have a question. How is a flash used if you already have a tungsten lighting the area? Can you use flahses only, or do you always have to have a "steady" lamp on? What is the best way to use a soft box, steady light, or a flash? I'm sure these are very "green" questions which is why I am coming to the pros :smile: Any help would be great!

Thanks-
Little Cub

If you are starting out, I would suggest a strobe in a softbox as your main (and only) light. Buy a reflector or white foam core board and use that to fill any shadows on the side of the subject opposite to the main (key) light. There are a gazillion books on this subject and it is very easy to get hooked . . .

This is a good on-line resource:

http://www.studiolighting.net/

Youngsville (The edge of nowhere), North Carolina
It's not practical to mix flash and tungsten... WB and the flashes will overpower it easily.

John's giving you good advice... a single light, softbox and white reflector. When you get the hang of that add a hairlight. When you get the hang of that, do whatever you want because you will have a sound fundamental understanding about studio lighting.

The creative stuff doesn't come from books it comes from your heart... but first you need a strong foundation.

Jfrancis and Czechman01,

Thanks for your help! I will definately try your method of beginning with a single light. I have a small 10' x 10' "studio" (spare bedroom) that I can use and I have seen so many great shots taken here on the cafe.
Czechman01, when you say, "add a hairlight," would that be a flash so as not to overpower the image with too much light? Again, thanks for your help!

Little Cub

The hairlight would be another strobe. The aim is to add a little light to the subject's hair, 'separating' them from the background, and adding a little 'depth' to the image.

Latest threads

Top Bottom