Portrait mount for D2H

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Rich Gibson, Feb 13, 2005.

1. I've included a quick (I know, out of focus) image of my D2H rig for portraits.

i'm using the Custom Brackets CB Junior and am very pleased with the quality. My question is what would you recommend to attach it to the tripod in the portrait configuration. Is there some sort of a quick mount?

Thanks, Rich

2. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Rich, I use a Ballhead,

a Markin's with a portrait slot to swivel the ball into portrait orientation.

3. An L plate from RRS will work nicely. That way you can attach the camera in either orientation. I leave my L plate on at all times.

4. Thanks! Those little suckers are expensive, aren't they? Actually everyting associated with this hobby is expensive. Now for a hard decision. I plan on replacing the D100 with the D2X in Oct/Nov after the feeding frenzy (hopefully at a substantially lower cost) so I'll have the D2H and the D2X. However the D100 would theoretically be a better bet for portraits at this time. Which one to buy? Hmmmm.

Okay, I have a 70-200VR and the 85mm f/1.4. Do you think the VR lens would be close enough to the 85 for my kind of portraits? Meaning, not for income. I have a RRS plate for the 70-200 mount and that would permit landscape/portrait rotation.

Rich

5. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Rish, don't you want to attach the rig as it is to a tripod? If so, then you don't want the L bracket from RRS. I have one too, but it's not compatable with my stroboframe. It's one or the other. If you have a Arca-Swiss style QR mount on your cmaera or bracket, all you would need is a ballhead with a portrait orientation slot.

6. Well now I'm in over my head! I was told to get the SB800 off my camera to move the catchlight. In my first post I had erroneously assumed the flash was okay to put on the bracket. with portrait work I don't see a need for the bracket/frame. I will need to flop the camera over on its end to get portrait shots.

With the 70-200VR I could mount the lens with the RRS slide right into the tripod (which, will by the way, be a much better balance. When I need to shoot portrait, all I'd have to do is loosent he lens bracket nut and rotate the whole assembly....voila (as Yves says). My question in the previous post was if the 70-200VR was close enough to the 85 f/1.4 for my type portrait work.

Do I sould like I understood your question?

Rich

7. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Bracket flash is well suited for on-the go type shots, but not for studio work. The 70-200Vr is a great lens for portraiture, and flipping the camera into portrait mode with the lens foot ring is a perfect solution. You still need the parts Gordon got to move the SB off to one side.