Portrait of Homelessness—C&C Please

Hi…

I'm working on a photo project documenting homelessness in downtown Las Vegas. This seems to be a taboo subject everyone wants to avoid while all the talk is of revitalization that keeps dominating our local news. If you had to pick just ONE of the three images below as the most POWERFUL image which speaks to homelessness, which one would you choose? Or would you not choose any?

1)
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2)

3)

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
I guess to me, make shift shelters are a key indicator of homelessness. Images 2 and 3 would be strong supporting images.

I would have to vote for #2 also. The expression and all the belongings on the pull cart make for a powerful and sad statement.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for all the comments! #2 it is! I tried various crops on this image, but then started remembering a lesson on composition which talked about get in close and then get in closer. The original image is actually pretty wide but I felt most of the background just detracted from what I was looking to emphasize.

Thanks for all the comments! #2 it is! I tried various crops on this image, but then started remembering a lesson on composition which talked about get in close and then get in closer. The original image is actually pretty wide but I felt most of the background just detracted from what I was looking to emphasize.
Think you are right there :)

I'd go for number 2. With the others, I think it would be too easy for people to invoke stereotypical images of alcohol and drug use, and use these to minimise the extent of the real problem.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom