Portrait of my Grand-Aunt

Discussion in 'People' started by shelleyann, Aug 8, 2008.

1. I took this picture while on vacation in Jamaica. I was meeting my Grand Aunt for the first time. Nice lady, and really funny. She isn't as miserable as this picture shows, but I love it anyway. I think it is a pretty good shot. I've posted the black and white version. Thoughts?

2742501407_96c93534dd.jpg

2. i like this one, a lot
    thanks for sharing her with us

3. Spectre

Spectre

Feb 20, 2008
    Oregon
    I like this a lot. I don't think she looks miserable at all. I personally might add a bit more contrast, but really ... it's great how it is.

4. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    I think it is a fantastic photo.

5. Lots of character in her face....lovely...

6. I like it too! Works well in b&w...

How old is your aunt? It is a wonderful image which shows years of character. I would enjoy sitting down with her somewher in the cool of the shade with a large glass of ice tea and hear stories of times long past.

7. I love this portrait.....it speaks volumes about her. She looks like she's reliving a lifetime of memories, not miserable.

8. Taylor

Taylor

May 21, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    I think it's quite good... the conversion is excellent. And this was with the D70s?

9. Thanks, everyone. She was moving around so much (her head and hands, that is) that I didn't think I would get anything semi decent.

Darryl. She is in her early nineties. She had just returned from the hospital after surgery on her hip. When my mother said to her "so, the doctors said you injured your hip, eh?" My aunt just looked at her and said "So they say." She always has a comment for everything..she reminds my of my late grandmother that way. She also has very light blue eyes as well, which sort of took me aback when I first saw them.

Taylor: Yep, I shot this with a D70s. I think the ISO was 320. I was using the 105 macro lens.

10. TwinTwo

TwinTwo Guest

Wow what an amazing portrait. There are some photos I think would have been better left in color. This one however is amazing in B&W.

Early nineties... Boy the stories she could sit and tell. God bless her

11. Agree, this is a fantastic image. The kind of photo that will interest people many years from now. B-W is a great choice.

12. Great choice of B/W vs. color. Such character in her face.