Portrait or landscape for sports compositions?

This is a simple question with probably a not so simple answer. Is there a preference when it comes to shooting in Portrait or Landscape when composing your images? I usually shoot in portrait but the SID I shoot for likes landscape for the website. Obviously the customer is always right but what is the general consensus. Is it only dependent on the situation and/or sport or is there a more cut and dried rule?

A lot of it will depend on the use of the image. For folks like your SID who are targeting the websites, many are requesting landscape orientation so that more of the screen is used for the photo, regardless of which orientation better suits the sport.

Rowing tends to be landscape.

Or laaaaaaaaaaaaaaandscaaaaaaaaaaaaape

But there are some good portrait compositions too :biggrin:

Depends on the sport and what the end result is. Figure for media, athletic department, etc I shoot primarily landscape. But for youth/HS sports sales I shoot mostly vertical to isolate 1 player.

Chris,

I shoot for a University too, and they want ALL landscape, wide, horizontal, whatever you call it. That fits the stories and the website content that they need. When they want an iso on a player or coach, they can crop from what I give them. I of course shoot portrait, tall, vertical for basketball, baseball, soccer, hockey, but not for the University.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for the comments everyone. My problem is that when I am shooting for the University, I am also shooting for sales from the parents with the same pics so it is a fine line. Then again, the school is paying me per game vs. shooting on spec so I think I will continue shooing landscape to make the school happy and crop if I need to for the parents. Thanks again!

If you're shooting landscape and getting an image that doesn't need any cropping, or very little, then you will no doubt have a good image that will work for a tighter cropped individual vertical image out of that.

I have a couple of images that I printed to 20x30" that came from a D2H, that was a 2.1mp frame camera, and I got a tack sharp image. I'm sure that a web image or a 4x6 from one of your cropped images will look at least as good.

Thanks for the comments everyone. My problem is that when I am shooting for the University, I am also shooting for sales from the parents with the same pics so it is a fine line. Then again, the school is paying me per game vs. shooting on spec so I think I will continue shooing landscape to make the school happy and crop if I need to for the parents. Thanks again!

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom