Portrait photo of son

Real Name
Michael
Well, looking at the quality of the photos posted here I'm not sure I'm in the league of most of you but I'm figuring the best way to learn and improve is share my efforts. Portrait shot of one of my sons in a room at home that I'd setup (as best as I could) as a studio.

1627469449204.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Go easy me, I'm a newbie :) but comments, criticisms and advise appreciated.

Cheers
blairy

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
Welcome to the Café blairy.
Your picture shows a not so common lighting, but a interesting view.
I like the picture.

Kind regards
Klaus

Welcome, Michael. Your son is handsome. The photo gives a sense of mystery where most of the face is in the shadow. You've made an unusual and interesting photo. Keep sharing and taking photos. The folks here are very kind and helpful so this is a good place to come.

Real Name
Walter Rowe
It’s an interesting lighting setup and pose. The dark jacket and hair blend into the background without separation. The edges get lost. I would like to see separation between subject and background. Keep at it!

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Interesting lighting, as many have commented on. And your son is very handsome!

First, I am NOT a portrait photographer! But there are some things to think about.

What is the intended use of the photo? Family treasure? Resume attachment? Or ???? The use will answer some of the questions below.

The eye goes to the lightest part of the image. In this case, his neck. It's sort of like a back-lighted portrait. Is this the effect you want?

His face, in shadows, has a very red cast. Is this the look you want?

Usually, the eyes are the dominant feature of a portrait. Here the eyes don't appear sharp and are in shadow. What are you trying to say with this portrait?

Real Name
Michael
Wow, thanks everybody…I haven’t been here five minutes and the feedback is great.

Terri and Karen – he may be handsome but that’s because he gets his looks from his mother ?.

Cheers Palouse, it is probably too dark but am I going for dark and moody (or maybe dramatic is a better word).

Agreed Walter on separating the background. I guess I could light the background differently to the subject or move the subject forward. Unfortunately, my background is a piece of timber I hand painted and it’s only 600mm X 1200mm. A larger background would provide more options.

And lots of questions Karen; all very good of course. In terms of use I’ll go with family treasure but in reality it was an image taken specifically for a photography course I recently completed. Briefly the shot is ‘stylised talent’ taken in a studio setting. I passed so figure it’s OK…but you can never get too much feedback ?. I hadn’t realised the ‘backlight effect’ I’d created – no, not intentional. Whilst the face is meant to be shadowed to some degree, I need to work on bringing out the eyes. The red cast is me being over zealous in photoshop – I was trying to bring out the ginger in his beard; silly really, you’ll only see it at about 250% ?

Thanks everybody, really helpful feedback delivered in an incredibly constructive and friendly way.

Cheers

Michael

Latest threads

Top Bottom