Portrait Practice (4 pics)

Discussion in 'People' started by cajun angel, Apr 26, 2007.

1. Hope ya'll can ignore hubby having his eyes closed! :frown: I wrote down the various things that changed with each photo, let me know if one or more is considered acceptable. Now in the actual shoot, I'll be shooting kids with their musical instruments so I guess that's called a "torso" shot? Anyway, I had Mark 6 ft from the backdrop and I think I was about the same distance from him. The only editing I did was to crop, low sharpen, and contrast w/no color change. I haven't learned elements 5 or Capture NX well enough yet. Also, are portraits generally shot in RAW? Camera on tripod, sb800 on and Gary Fong spheres as follows

All photos shot in RAW - aperture priority used, ISO 200, and 18-200 VR, white balance flash, also forgot to mention I used the hallway outside the recital room - lighting was much better there. Tomorrow I'll practic inside the recital room.

1. 90mm 1/60 sec F5.3 cloud sphere with dome
    *notice the glare in Mark's glasses!*
    474024522_2b68dd4a42_b.

2. 55mm 1/60 sec F4.8 cloud sphere without dome
    *notice the glare gone from the glasses!*
    View attachment 92581

3.95mm 1/60 sec F5.3 Clear sphere with dome
    View attachment 92582

4. 95mm 1/60 sec F5.3 Clear sphere without dome
    View attachment 92583

2. ZBaum

ZBaum Guest

I think that the last one has the best lighting, and looks the most "3D". #2 is a bit flat, and #3 is just too dark. I'd go with a similar setup as the last one, but of course, with eyes open.

3. Thanks, Zach! I'll admitt if I had it to do all over again, I would have kept my big mouth shut about doing the portraits! BUT, all things considered, it's definitely a learning experience and gives me a higher respect for those who do this for a living. After looking again, I liked #4 too! Thanks!

4. Dayo

Dayo

May 1, 2006
    Bahrain
    Agree with Zach on #4. On the glare in the glasses though, I think that mainly has to do with the position of the head as there is a difference in the positions in #1 & #2.

Good luck with the shoot.

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Looking much better
    WB seems way off though
    Everything is orange

6. icetraxx

icetraxx

May 7, 2005
    Louisiana
    Dianne,
    I'm going to go with #4 also. The little reflection in the glasses can easily and quickly get cloned out. The white balance does look a little off. If you shot raw see if adjusting it to around the 5000-5200 range and see if that helps. That is what I ended up doing.

Larry

7. Thanks Larry! Could you please explain the 5000-5200 range? Is that a part of photo shop or Capture? And yes, I did shoot in RAW.

8. Ottrott's Human

Ottrott's Human

May 21, 2006
    USA
    Dianne,
    The pose and crop in number 4 is the best for me. Your WB is definitely too warm. I think you need to cool the image down by a good 1300ยบ Kelvin, but that's just a guess and should be used only as a starting point to correct your WB. if you aren't able to adjust your camera to shoot proper WB with your lights you will need to use a RAW program like Nikon's Capture NX, Photoshop's Camera raw etc....to adjust the temperature of the image in post production.

One of the things I'd work hard on b/w now and the shoot is getting the camera to capture the proper WB with your lighting.

You might go to your local camera shop and buy an Expodisc or a Grey Card to use in the first shot of the day so you can either get the WB set correctly in your camera or at least have a reference shot with Grey card to adjust the photo's to later.

Just look at the photo and ask yourself if your husband's skin is really that orange. If not then the WB is off (too warm which means Kelvin Temperature is too high)

The best advice I can give you this close to your shoot is to make darn sure you shoot in RAW because you have not had time to master WB yet and you will most likely need to adjust it when you edit the photo's.

Good luck with the shoot. Remember these things:

1. Shoot in RAW mode!!!
    (if you don't usually shoot RAW remember RAW files are much larger than jpeg files so you might need to either take more CF cards than you are used to or a laptop you can offload files to and then reformat your CF to continue the shoot. I would think you would need a bare minimum of 2 gigs worth of CF memory. 4 gigs would be safest.

2. Take your time
    3. Slow Down (keep saying that to yourself every few minutes)
    4. Check camera settings frequently
    5. Check histogram frequently
    6. View the subject carefully through the lens or by looking past the camera and be sure to observe details like clothing that is bunched up, bra straps showing, hair across eyes etc......details, details, details.

if you nail the focus, have a good exposure, a nice pose/expression and don't miss any big details then most any other things can be fixed in post if necessary.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2007
  9. Am I right assuming that the closed eyes are due to the flash? An idea might be to try locking flash exposure so that there are no pre-flashes before the actual shot. This might help.

10. #4 is the best and I would guess that turning off the pre-flash would help with the eyes being shut.

11. Nice, even lighting on these. Although be careful about getting it too even, it kind of tends to flatten the features a little. One more problem with the glasses :biggrin: Did you notice on his right eye (left on the screen) how the angle of the pose causes the light to diffract and that makes it look like part of his face/cheek is missing. It's most noticable in #4, least noticable in #1. Just one more thing to consider! :smile:

12. No, I was counting 1,2,3 and shooting. I have no problem with the kids but Mark? He's a "wierd yankee!" :wink: :biggrin:

LOL, not where Mark is concerned! LOL

Okay, now I'm getting overwhelmed LOL! Hope you get a chance to take a look at today's recital practice - I posted 5 photos and I think they may be better overall.