Portrait Professional - again

I know there has been a good bit of coverage about the Portrait Professional application and I have seen it advertised in many magazines.
I found the top edition (Studio 64) a bit pricey though at over $ 200 and held off.

Now that it is offered at $ 119.95 and added the fact that I have a 10% discount coupon I jumped in and downloaded it last night.
I only played with it for less than half an hour but I am impressed! It really is as easy as advertised but what I like most is the great level of control of every aspect of correction.
I will only use it to moderately enhance people shots and it does so fantastically. I am fairly well versed in Photoshop but this application is really worth getting.
Highly recommended!

O

Oldman

I have been using this for quite a while. I have found it is better if you have major corrections to make (color corrections or flaws) to do it in Photoshop first then save as TIFF. Use PP10 on the TIFF.

Dwight

i feel its the other way around fritz.
most people i know that are well versed in photohop wont buy this software , most newbies to photoshop would .

i would suggest to try to get the beauty and hair retouching high end techniques by natalia taffarel . she does the skin and hair so good it retains detail even when she is smoothing it . it akes a good while to do one image though :)

most people i know that are well versed in photohop wont buy this software , most newbies to photoshop would .

i would suggest to try to get the beauty and hair retouching high end techniques by natalia taffarel . she does the skin and hair so good it retains detail even when she is smoothing it . it akes a good while to do one image though :)
I am going to respectfully disagree with you. If someone doesn't buy this software because they don't have the money or they feel it is too expensive, that I can understand. Your statement "most people I know that are well versed in photoshop won't buy this software, most newbies to photoshop would" is giving the wrong impression. There are many people who are well versed in photoshop that have and do buy this software. It is quick and easy to use and sliders are available to scale back every adjustment from skin to hair, nose, mouth, jawline, color, etc. I have used photoshop exclusively to make adjustments and spent hours doing so and yes, the results are excellent. I have also used Portrait Professional and achieved similar results in just minutes.

My advice is don't be an elitist for elitist sake. If there is an easier way and you have the means to acquire it, use it. Time is money so to speak. Fred did a very nice job on the picture of his wife Anne. He retained skin detail and the hair does not look over smoothed. Minor blemishes were fixed and overall it is a great image of his lovely lady.

I would also caution against implying that only newbies; i.e., ones that can't cut it in photoshop, use Portrait Professional. By the way, I also use a sharpening algorithm from Kodak that helps me to quickly apply just the right amount of sharpening. Does that mean that I do not know how to sharpen an image in photoshop? I think not. Does using control points in Capture NX or NX2 imply that one is a newbie and could have done much better in photoshop? I think you have to be careful in painting others with your own personal brush or biases. I could go on. :smile:

I am going to respectfully disagree with you. If someone doesn't buy this software because they don't have the money or they feel it is too expensive, that I can understand. Your statement "most people I know that are well versed in photoshop won't buy this software, most newbies to photoshop would" is giving the wrong impression. There are many people who are well versed in photoshop that have and do buy this software. It is quick and easy to use and sliders are available to scale back every adjustment from skin to hair, nose, mouth, jawline, color, etc. I have used photoshop exclusively to make adjustments and spent hours doing so and yes, the results are excellent. I have also used Portrait Professional and achieved similar results in just minutes.

My advice is don't be an elitist for elitist sake. If there is an easier way and you have the means to acquire it, use it. Time is money so to speak. Fred did a very nice job on the picture of his wife Anne. He retained skin detail and the hair does not look over smoothed. Minor blemishes were fixed and overall it is a great image of his lovely lady.

I would also caution against implying that only newbies; i.e., ones that can't cut it in photoshop, use Portrait Professional. By the way, I also use a sharpening algorithm from Kodak that helps me to quickly apply just the right amount of sharpening. Does that mean that I do not know how to sharpen an image in photoshop? I think not. Does using control points in Capture NX or NX2 imply that one is a newbie and could have done much better in photoshop? I think you have to be careful in painting others with your own personal brush or biases. I could go on. :smile:
did i hit a nerve - sorry if i did .
the only reason i see for someone who is well versed in photoshop to buy this software is if they process hundreds and thousands of images and they have a deadline - as you say quick and easy .
if someone is using it one image at a time as a hobby and well versed on photoshop why would i buy this one if i can do it in photoshop and get better results. its a waste of money .

the only reason i see for someone who is well versed in photoshop to buy this software is if they process hundreds and thousands of images and they have a deadline - as you say quick and easy .
if someone is using it one image at a time as a hobby and well versed on photoshop why would i buy this one if i can do it in photoshop and get better results. its a waste of money .
Thanks all, I find this an interesting discussion (without ill intentions, I'm sure).
I can only speak for myself, of course: I rarely have a large number of images to process, so in that respect the time savings do not apply to me.
But, as much as I can work Photoshop, I don't always feel like spending a fair bit of time with it on an image. This is where PP will come in handy and produce very nice results (again, used cautiously). I also like it to get a quick impression of what can be done with an unprocessed image.
But I do agree that at the end of the day Photoshop only results will be superior. Proof in the pudding is that PP processed files, even sparingly, will lose a lot of information. For example, the reference image linked above processed in PS CS5 only is a 38 MB TIFF, while the PP version is a 17 MB TIFF (both 8 bit).
I like the reference image of Anne in my original post and had fun with PP. But the keeper file of it is one that I worked exclusively in Photoshop.

No nerve was hit, I just wanted to share my thoughts so that others reading your view will have both perspectives. I do the vast majority of my processing with PS and then usually present to the customer one or two head and shoulder images done with Portrait Professional and let them decide. Like Fred I do not destroy the original Tiff in this process. As you can see, I am not fond of classing others as newbies just because of the software they might own or buy. This has nothing to do with me personally as I am comfortable in my skill level and have been doing photograph for over 60 years. My wife is a purist and does not think that any post processing should be used but unfortunately (or fortunately) most do not agree with that view and it is the customer that makes the final determination. In the old film days many used to go to great lengths to insure that the pose was just right and the lighting just so to lessen or accentuate a given facial feature. I have shot or printed many an image through a silk stocking in order to diffuse blemishes/wrinkles as well as other tricks of the trade. Thank goodness for digital and the wonderful software that has been developed for our use.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am trying to get my picture from Point A to Point B. If one route takes 2 minutes and the other one takes 45 minutes, you can guess which one I am going to take. Perhaps if you restated this above quote with what you wrote in your second response, it would cause less issues with the people reading it.

the only reason i see for someone who is well versed in photoshop to buy this software is if they process hundreds and thousands of images and they have a deadline - as you say quick and easy
Hundreds? With taxes and everything the average employee easily costs $1 per minute. Even if you save 15 minutes of work per image it will take less than 20 images to make the investment worthwhile.

I've learned a long time ago that in a commercial environment saying "I can do that myself for free" is often more costly than pulling the company credit card.

if someone is using it one image at a time as a hobby and well versed on photoshop why would i buy this one if i can do it in photoshop and get better results. its a waste of money.
If, if, if... that argument can be applied to many cases. Get photoshop and you don't need anything else - Lightroom, NX2, etc. In fact, why waste money on Photoshop? Paintshop Pro is a lot cheaper. It will take a bit longer to get things done, but why waste money?

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom