1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Portrait Shoot from Friday

Discussion in 'Formal Portraits and Weddings' started by Miguel, Aug 3, 2008.

1. Miguel

Miguel

May 12, 2006
    Norwalk, CT
    Here's a portrait of a friend of mine, Carlos "After Dark" Berrios. He's a music producer and a film maker out of NYC. You can check him out here:

http://www.myspace.com/carlosberrios

Being that he shoots film he knows a little about lighting and told me he wanted something on the "dramatic" side. Here's one.

Main light was in a 24"x32" softbox and used the SB-800 in slave mode as a hair light.

D3/80-200mm
    Focal Length 86 mm
    Exposure Time 1/160 sec
    Aperture f/7.1
    ISO Equivalent 200

101067150.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. The shot is very nice, and I like the lighting.

However, somehow the crop makes his head look tiny. Perhaps adding some extra space to the top would help? Or cropping it more tight.

Just my .02€ :smile:

3. Miguel

Miguel

May 12, 2006
    Norwalk, CT
    Thanks for commenting Jani. I'm sure a tighter crop would give a different perspective.

4. Marina

Marina Guest

I too like lighting on this, i think cropping half of the bottom would look a lot better. Also, he needs some more light in his eyes :wink:

5. Excellent job Miguel! I always like your work and this is no exception. I believe you captured the "dramatic" look.

6. spencer313

spencer313 Guest

Good work, Miguel!! I really like it. I find the left cheek bone a teensy bit hot. I see that you picked up a '3... making it work for it's dinner??

Keep up the good stuff...

7. nice work, miguel
    with dark hair and the shoulder pad inserts that all jackets possess..... that's what makes his head look small.

black hair is harder to light, of course
    i'm wondering if a bit MORE HAIR LIGHT would have helped

i think you have done well... as usual

8. Miguel

Miguel

May 12, 2006
    Norwalk, CT
    Thank you Marina. I realize a little more light in the eyes would bring out the color in his eyes, but this is sort of what he wanted with the light up high. We're going to do another shoot on location and I'll work on it for that shoot.

I appreciate it Rick. Thanks for taking time to comment.

Hey Spencer,

Could be a tad hot. Yeah, I broke down and picked one up, but I still love the D2x. Thanks for commenting.

I see what you are saying Greg. Probably could have used a little more light on the hair.

Thanks for taking the time to look and comment.

9. Nikhe

Nikhe

Oct 8, 2006
    Sweden
    That´s a very nice portrait and the lighting is really good.
    I like it a lot.

10. senna

senna

Jan 6, 2007
    San Jose Ca.
    How you doing Miguel?
    This a great photo, You are doing very nice work.

11. looks mobster-esque.. maybe I'm watching too many movies. haha! i like the mood.

12. BarkisPhoto

BarkisPhoto

Jul 20, 2007
    New England
    Hi, Miguel -- you captured the 'dramatic' look well. Nice portrait ...

Best Regards,

13. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    I love everything about it. Love the subtle light on his cheek...and the hair light as well. Good job.

14. Is it possible to scream subtlety? This shot does it. Nice job, Miguel.

15. Miguel

Miguel

May 12, 2006
    Norwalk, CT
    Thank you Nikhe. I appreciate it.

I'm good Troy. Thank you for the compliment and for viewing.

Well he is intrigued by the film noir style, so I guess his idea worked. Thanks for commenting Laura.

Thank you John. I appreciate you taking time to comment.

Wow! Thank you Seneca.

Thank you Mitch and I like the portraits you've done too.

16. Matthias

Matthias

Apr 13, 2007
    Central Texas
    Miguel,

nice portrait - I like the idea of using the sb800 as a hair light. Thanks for the tip.

17. JMontes

JMontes

Jun 22, 2007
    Edgartown, MA
    miguel, I find this shot excellent! The dynamic range from the shoulders inward is great. Very nice dramatic lighting, I can't find much I'd change about this shot :wink:

18. Miguel

Miguel

May 12, 2006
    Norwalk, CT
    Thanks Matthias. I tried using my 36x48 softbox for the main light and the 24x32 as the hair light, but it was just to much light everywhere. That's when I decide to use the small soft box as the main, but I still needed a hair light. That's when I figured I would give the sb-800 set to 105mm(I think that's what it goes to. LOL...) and it worked out.

It was a good experience and I had to think on my feet to give Carlos what he wanted.

Thank you John. I appreciate that and thank you for commenting.

19. I agree... considering your intention the lighting is perfect, especially the gentle highlights in the hair which very effectively pulls it away from the BG. My only suggestion would be to play with the crop. I think he's too centered for the intended mood of the image, and there's too much non-information in the bottom of the image.

I think an off-center crop would add a more dynamic frame and reinforce the mood.

20. Miguel

Miguel

May 12, 2006
    Norwalk, CT
    Woody thank you so much for commenting, I truly appreciate it.

After looking at the image over and over, I to agree that the crop does not work.

Here is a little tighter crop I had done after I got some of the suggestions.

On the original I didn't give the crop much thought, but now realize I should have.

Thanks again for your input.

101270385.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.