Portrait Shoot from Friday

Here's a portrait of a friend of mine, Carlos "After Dark" Berrios. He's a music producer and a film maker out of NYC. You can check him out here:

http://www.myspace.com/carlosberrios

Being that he shoots film he knows a little about lighting and told me he wanted something on the "dramatic" side. Here's one.

Main light was in a 24"x32" softbox and used the SB-800 in slave mode as a hair light.

D3/80-200mm
Focal Length 86 mm
Exposure Time 1/160 sec
Aperture f/7.1
ISO Equivalent 200

101067150.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The shot is very nice, and I like the lighting.

However, somehow the crop makes his head look tiny. Perhaps adding some extra space to the top would help? Or cropping it more tight.

Just my .02€ :smile:

Thanks for commenting Jani. I'm sure a tighter crop would give a different perspective.

M

Marina

I too like lighting on this, i think cropping half of the bottom would look a lot better. Also, he needs some more light in his eyes :wink:

S

spencer313

Good work, Miguel!! I really like it. I find the left cheek bone a teensy bit hot. I see that you picked up a '3... making it work for it's dinner??

Keep up the good stuff...

nice work, miguel
with dark hair and the shoulder pad inserts that all jackets possess..... that's what makes his head look small.

black hair is harder to light, of course
i'm wondering if a bit MORE HAIR LIGHT would have helped

i think you have done well... as usual

I too like lighting on this, i think cropping half of the bottom would look a lot better. Also, he needs some more light in his eyes :wink:

Thank you Marina. I realize a little more light in the eyes would bring out the color in his eyes, but this is sort of what he wanted with the light up high. We're going to do another shoot on location and I'll work on it for that shoot.

Excellent job Miguel! I always like your work and this is no exception. I believe you captured the "dramatic" look.

I appreciate it Rick. Thanks for taking time to comment.

Good work, Miguel!! I really like it. I find the left cheek bone a teensy bit hot. I see that you picked up a '3... making it work for it's dinner??

Keep up the good stuff...

Hey Spencer,

Could be a tad hot. Yeah, I broke down and picked one up, but I still love the D2x. Thanks for commenting.

nice work, miguel
with dark hair and the shoulder pad inserts that all jackets possess..... that's what makes his head look small.

black hair is harder to light, of course
i'm wondering if a bit MORE HAIR LIGHT would have helped

i think you have done well... as usual

I see what you are saying Greg. Probably could have used a little more light on the hair.

Thanks for taking the time to look and comment.

That´s a very nice portrait and the lighting is really good.
I like it a lot.

Hi, Miguel -- you captured the 'dramatic' look well. Nice portrait ...

Best Regards,

I love everything about it. Love the subtle light on his cheek...and the hair light as well. Good job.

That´s a very nice portrait and the lighting is really good.
I like it a lot.

Thank you Nikhe. I appreciate it.

How you doing Miguel?
This a great photo, You are doing very nice work.

I'm good Troy. Thank you for the compliment and for viewing.

looks mobster-esque.. maybe I'm watching too many movies. haha! i like the mood.

Well he is intrigued by the film noir style, so I guess his idea worked. Thanks for commenting Laura.

Hi, Miguel -- you captured the 'dramatic' look well. Nice portrait ...

Best Regards,

Thank you John. I appreciate you taking time to comment.

I love everything about it. Love the subtle light on his cheek...and the hair light as well. Good job.

Wow! Thank you Seneca.

Is it possible to scream subtlety? This shot does it. Nice job, Miguel.

Thank you Mitch and I like the portraits you've done too.

miguel, I find this shot excellent! The dynamic range from the shoulders inward is great. Very nice dramatic lighting, I can't find much I'd change about this shot :wink:

Miguel,

nice portrait - I like the idea of using the sb800 as a hair light. Thanks for the tip.

Thanks Matthias. I tried using my 36x48 softbox for the main light and the 24x32 as the hair light, but it was just to much light everywhere. That's when I decide to use the small soft box as the main, but I still needed a hair light. That's when I figured I would give the sb-800 set to 105mm(I think that's what it goes to. LOL...) and it worked out.

It was a good experience and I had to think on my feet to give Carlos what he wanted.

miguel, I find this shot excellent! The dynamic range from the shoulders inward is great. Very nice dramatic lighting, I can't find much I'd change about this shot :wink:

Thank you John. I appreciate that and thank you for commenting.

Youngsville (The edge of nowhere), North Carolina
I agree... considering your intention the lighting is perfect, especially the gentle highlights in the hair which very effectively pulls it away from the BG. My only suggestion would be to play with the crop. I think he's too centered for the intended mood of the image, and there's too much non-information in the bottom of the image.

I think an off-center crop would add a more dynamic frame and reinforce the mood.

Woody thank you so much for commenting, I truly appreciate it.

After looking at the image over and over, I to agree that the crop does not work.

Here is a little tighter crop I had done after I got some of the suggestions.

On the original I didn't give the crop much thought, but now realize I should have.

Thanks again for your input.

101270385.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom