Portrait shoot....Jason

Discussion in 'People' started by bullistic, Jul 6, 2008.

1. bullistic

bullistic

Dec 17, 2006
    I've been away for quite awhile...what with life and a knee injury I've not done a lot of shooting and oh I miss it so. Popped back in today, and thought I'd share a few of the photo's that I have taken over the past few months.

This series is of my son, who lives in the downtown east-side of Vancouver..by choice...lol. He writes, and these were taken as he hopes to publish some poems, of which the topic is the life on east-side. He will pull out his notebook...sit and write when something captures his eye, and yes...the shot of him reaching for the fire escape is also what he does...why you ask...well...he climbs up on the rooftops to get a different view of the city!

Tat

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2008
  2. the best of luck on your recovery
    what a great series of images
    nice to have you back

very nicely done

3. Love the first one!

4. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    The first one is my favorite. Good series...thanks for sharing...and best of luck to him...tell him never to give up...hopefully he will be published.

5. Recover fully!
    I like the B-W, nice work. The color is not correct, the last looks like the WB is incorrect.

6. I'm not a fan of the purple tinge on the color ones, but the first one is a great shot--definitely my favorite of the bunch.

7. bullistic

bullistic

Dec 17, 2006
    Thanks for the comments. The first one was the pick for me as well. I love that shot, my son on the other hand thought it was too "glam" for what he was going for...lol. The background is the main center for the homeless, street people, and drugusers who shoot up right in broad daylight with the police station only a block away. It's a very sad place to go through.

As for the colour...at the time I worked on these the harsh tone seemed to go with the area if that makes sense. The shots were taken near to dusk, and with all the tall buildings there is very blueish cast to the area...and I am drawn to purple...so it was a choice to do so, although without any explanation I can see as to the comments on the colour cast.

What I also liked with the shot of him grabbing the fire escape...was the sign in the background..."access". Also in the first shot...the pole he is leaning on...there is the word "revolution"...just all seemed to fit.
    thanks again...
    Tat

8. PhotogWannabe

PhotogWannabe

Mar 19, 2007
    BC
    Sounds like your son is a free spirit as well. I really like the first shot. Good for him for choosing to live in downtown east side. Not a choice I would have made at his age.

9. nshape

nshape

Jul 25, 2006
    NB Canada
    Love them! The 1st one is my favorite!

10. ArtO

ArtO

Jun 14, 2008
    Florida
    I like them and I think I get the color thing. My fav is actually the second. He's so intense looking in all of the shots but in #2 he's intent on his art.

11. bullistic

bullistic

Dec 17, 2006
    Thanks again for the comments including the ones about the colour cast. Sometimes I think I tend to do too much as to what I like...and I do like purple...lol.

That he is....lol. He gets around town on a long board through traffic, and being the kind of person he is...lol...he will tape himself travelling! He has posted like 6 of these on youtube...and yes...sigh...he does that stupid thing of hitching onto a moving vehicle. As a mother...I'm like...Oh yea!

Prior to living in the area he spent a week living among the homeless on the streets as he's working on a book about a street youth. Again...being a mother...Oh yea! We told him...Hemmingway did not travel to Africa to write about...lol.

But...I do respect his passion and talent.
    Tat

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.