portrait technique question

I have been trying to get some good pictures of my little grandson with my D70. The lens I have been using is the 50mm 1.8. I have been putting the focus spot on his eyes and half pressing the shutter then waiting for a good expression to take the picture. Well, needless to say I am getting many pictures that are not focusing properly because I might move or the baby might move. The other morning I decided to try continuous focusing. I seemed to get better results. Is there a better technique I could use?

Here are my results with the continuous focusing.

44067761.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 9806

Terri, I love the second one....It seems like you are at his level in this one, rather than looking down at him in the first (is this correct?). Being at the same level as a child makes the picture seem more "real"...does that make sense? Less contrived is what I guess I'm going for. Anyway, I'd say you are coming along nicely. You've got a cute little grandson...keep shooting and we'll keep looking! ;-)

R

Removed User 2

Nice pictures! :D

Technique? Well... as soon as the subject is very close to the lens, any tiny movement will make it out of focus. This is only normal.

I wouldn't start worrying on technique if I was you. Just shoot this beautiful baby 1000 shots and you will have 500 winners :D Isn't this what it's all about? Shooting and having fun? :wink:

The second one is really nice...great catchlights and nice lighting. Is that a gold reflector at the right of the image?

As far as focusing, I use continuous focus, but in a different way than most people. I use the AE/AF-ON button on the back to focus and then recompose and then shoot, shoot, shoot. This allows me to shoot a number of frames without recomposing.

You should use the focusing method that you get the most keepers. You might also want to play around with the different focusing points so that the eyes don't always have to be in the middle of the frame.

gilbert said:
The second one is really nice...great catchlights and nice lighting. Is that a gold reflector at the right of the image?

As far as focusing, I use continuous focus, but in a different way than most people. I use the AE/AF-ON button on the back to focus and then recompose and then shoot, shoot, shoot. This allows me to shoot a number of frames without recomposing.

You should use the focusing method that you get the most keepers. You might also want to play around with the different focusing points so that the eyes don't always have to be in the middle of the frame.

I'll have to try the ae/af button for focusing. I haven't tried it before, so when I do I'll probably be asking you some questions. When I took the second picture, the baby was over the armrest of a leather chair. The gold colored object is the back of the chair. I was just trying the continuous focus to see how it would work. I was planning on taking more pictures in a better set up later after he was dressed. Well, after his bath, he was tired and wouldn't cooperate. Then he left to go home and I won't be seeing him for a while now.

Thanks for your comments. Did you see my comment on your original post earlier today?

Thanks for looking Bryan

PhotoDawg said:
Awwwweeee..............that is the sweetest little face I have ever seen!!! :D :D :D :D

I hope I can keep learning so I can capture all sorts of memories of this little guy.

Just wish he was closer. They live about a 4 hour drive away. :(

Thanks for looking Bryan

PhotoDawg said:
Awwwweeee..............that is the sweetest little face I have ever seen!!! :D :D :D :D

I hope I can keep learning so I can capture all sorts of memories of this little guy.

Just wish he was closer. They live about a 4 hour drive away. :(

Terri,

I like them both, but the second one is priceless. Look at those big eyes and the "I gotta find out about all this" look on his face. I like NB23's recommendation, too: it's gonna be hard to get a bad one with such a lovely subject! :lol:

Thanks for your suggestion

Leigh said:
Terri, I love the second one....It seems like you are at his level in this one, rather than looking down at him in the first (is this correct?). Being at the same level as a child makes the picture seem more "real"...does that make sense? Less contrived is what I guess I'm going for. Anyway, I'd say you are coming along nicely. You've got a cute little grandson...keep shooting and we'll keep looking! ;-)

Thanks for the suggestions about the shooting level. You are right. I'll be sure to watch it from now on.

NB23 said:
Nice pictures! :D

Technique? Well... as soon as the subject is very close to the lens, any tiny movement will make it out of focus. This is only normal.

I wouldn't start worrying on technique if I was you. Just shoot this beautiful baby 1000 shots and you will have 500 winners :D Isn't this what it's all about? Shooting and having fun? :wink:

Thanks NB23. It is so much fun taking pictures of him. I'll probably have 10,000 of them before he is grown!!!!

Thank you Phillippe

Philippe Roger said:
Terri,

I like them both, but the second one is priceless. Look at those big eyes and the "I gotta find out about all this" look on his face. I like NB23's recommendation, too: it's gonna be hard to get a bad one with such a lovely subject! :lol:

I appreciate your kind comments.

Latest threads

Top Bottom