1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Featured Portrait

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by bluesmangraham, May 22, 2018.

1. Excellent!

Sir Patrick Stewart?

2. Bart

Bart

Sep 20, 2009
    A wonderful character portrait, Graham!
    Great actor.

3. Thanks guys.
    It is indeed Al.
    Thank you Bart.

4. The eyes are just perfect!

5. Very nice shooting angle and I like his expression.Is it possible to reduce the highligts a bit on top of his head?

6. The angle really enhances his stature!

7. Thank you for commenting Nick, Binnur & dossy.
    Binnur, I tried toning down the highlighted head but it made the image a bit "muddy" & grey?.
    I'm sure a master P&P tech guy like Bart & others could get a great image from it but I'm a lowly press/sports snapper with limited field skills! ;) . Regards Graham.

8. JusPlainCrayzee

JusPlainCrayzee Administrator Administrator

Isn't that Patrick Stewart? Great photo!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Such a great actor and you have captured him well.

• Like Like x 1
  10. the_traveler

the_traveler

Mar 22, 2007
    en route
    The angle and framing are great but the blown out top of the skull really hurts and might be recovered some in editing if this was captured in raw.
    It looks like his face was quite flat and you made a heroic attempt to introduce some contrast by sharpening.
    However this introduced very extreme sharpening halos that are quite obvious as dark lines in some places.

If you do have a raw file and you'd like someone else to give a try, you might post it somewhere and post a link to it.

upload_2018-5-28_8-21-56.

11. Thanks for the informative feedback Lew.
    Unfortunately I do not have a copy in RAW as this was a paper assignment & all I shoot is Jpeg. :( . Kind regards Graham.

12. Since you shoot JPEG, as a rule, do you underexpose about a stop? It is easier to boost shadows slightly in a jpeg than it is to try and recover totally blown highlights. (impossible, usually)

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. the_traveler

the_traveler

Mar 22, 2007
    en route
    raw + jpeg is a good way to go.

14. Nikzys

Nikzys

Jun 10, 2018
    Patrick Stewart! Nice!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.