1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Portraits for Photography Class

Discussion in 'People' started by corns5, Aug 24, 2008.

1. corns5

corns5

Mar 21, 2008
    Florida
    Hi!
    Am on lesson 2 of a new class I am taking. We are focusing on composition and differerent lighting, so here are some of my daughter.... and she is soooo tired of me trying to get her attention with my camera. I am so excited though to be learning so much!

So here goes.
    #1 is on a drizzly sun shower outside, and using fill flash at the door so she is not dark, heading outside. I thought I used (I even wrote it down) -2 on the flash EV, but the EXIF shows 0. In any case this is one of my favorites:
    [​IMG]

#2 I think was cropped (is that why the EXIF says Dig Zoom 1x), as some are, but NO other photoshopping done to any of the images, whatsoever...

p425136015-4.
    Here are the rest:
    View attachment 242725

View attachment 242726

View attachment 242727

BTW all were taken with my new Nikon 35 F/2 lens. Also dragged that white sheet to reflect sunlight to her eyes when we weren't using the sheet as a backdrop. Thanks for looking!

2. JDann24

JDann24

Dec 15, 2007
    Garland, Texas
    I like 3 and 4 the best. Next time try moving her a little further away from the sheet. You're heading in the right direction, so keep it up.

3. Samer

Samer

Sep 19, 2006
    Jupiter, FL
    Thanks for sharing these! I also like the last two best. If could make one suggestion, use a longer focal length for headshots. In your 3rd image with the 35mm, there is definitely some distortion. Basically, noses look too big, etc. Look at some fisheye photos to see the extreme of this effect. It is not the most flattering, especially for women. Hence many portrait photographers use very long focal lengths, like up to 200mm.

Cheers,

4. corns5

corns5

Mar 21, 2008
    Florida
    35 f/2 input on headshots

Thanks for your input,Samer... I am learning...learning:
    ... but
    Any comments about this from others, please are welcome... this is the Nikon 35 f/2 taken at f/2. (dd looks just like that in real life btw, nose may be large but don't tell her!! lol:wink: I bought this lens cause of all the great images right here on the cafe for portrait work....did I make a mistake?:eek: :eek: 

5. rbellphoto

rbellphoto

Jun 8, 2006
    SoCal
    I like #4 and #5. Nice framing/capture. #1 suffers from too busy of a background. #2 would be nice if her feet weren't cropped out, otherwise this would've been my favorite. #3 just seems too static and uninteresting. (i.e. "stand up against this wall while I take your picture.")

Just as a general rule, the eyes need to be in focus for portraits. That is the first thing a viewer looks at. If the eyes aren't sharp, it doesn't matter about anything else.

Also, a little PP would help all of them. Bump your contrast up about 5-10%.

6. corns5

corns5

Mar 21, 2008
    Florida
  7. corns5

corns5

Mar 21, 2008
    Florida
    one more.
    p1030165574-4.

More contrast does help!

8. rbellphoto

rbellphoto

Jun 8, 2006
    SoCal
    Better. Also, in the dog/girl picture, the change in WB is a definite improvement. In the future, move your subject a little further away from the backdrop.

What software are you using for PP?

9. corns5

corns5

Mar 21, 2008
    Florida
    Adobe Elements 6.0. I had the Nikon Capture 2X demo version, but it expired recently, and in the photography class I am taking they will teach with Adobe Elements 6.0.
    I love this new hobby, but know my need to get better and take classes, and advice from you experienced photographers! I never used a backdrop before, and will take your advice to move the subject further away. Thank you!

10. Samer

Samer

Sep 19, 2006
    Jupiter, FL
    First, she doesn't have a big nose! Sorry if I implied that :tongue: All I meant was, and I'm sure most would agree with me here, 35mm is not ideal for headshots. Why? well, what does it matter? If you frame the subject for a headshot with a given focal length and sensor size, that determines your physical distance. Since in the case of 35mm, even on a DX sensor, that means being very close to the subject, that causes noticeable distortion. In the shot of your daughter with the dog, the 35mm is perfect. You would have had to stand on ladder with the longer focal length to get everything in the shot, and distortion was not an issue. Sorry for being so verbose, I just wanted to try to get the idea across. Being physically further away causes compression, which is a good thing for headshots.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.