1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Portraits from today!

Discussion in 'People' started by JoJo2Fast, Jul 5, 2008.

1. JoJo2Fast

JoJo2Fast

Nov 20, 2007
    Auburn, WA
    My setup for the day was my D300 and a 70-200mm VR. All were natural light on a cloudy day (couldn't get my hands on a reflector). These are the only 5 I've edited so far. Subject is my brother's girlfriend. She was excited when I asked her to do some portrait shots for my website I'm in the process of making. She had never had any senior pictures done so she was stoked! :biggrin: Any comments are welcome, thanks!

2638326712_cf71d6a24e_o.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2638326384_0f8e9716dd_o.jpg

2637578733_018d28a392_o.jpg

2637651863_11fb94289e_o.jpg

2638545070_9ce194fbce_o.jpg

2. She's a beauty and you did very well.
    The cloudy day paid off for you as well.

Not sure what it is, but something doesn't look right about her right cheek line in #1.

Good attention to detail as her necklace is always straight, even after clothing changes.

I know you and her were happy with the shoot...... great results!

3. JoJo2Fast

JoJo2Fast

Nov 20, 2007
    Auburn, WA
    Thanks Tim!

Yeah #1 was just a practice shot to check my WB and ended up being a shot I really like. So she wasn't prepared for that shot at all, but sometimes those are the best ones!

4. Jordan
    awesome shooting
    lovely model
    you did well

5. Overall great photography. She is a pretty lady with a killer smile. Lighting and processing is spot on, nice work.
    Photo 1 - her facial expression does not make it.
    Photo 5 - Her far side arm looks bent (she should have relaxed), but the photo is still very useable.
    Keep shooting her, she's fantastic.

6. Phil

Phil

Nov 25, 2007
    Illinois
    They look very good. I agree with Tim about her cheek in #1.
    Nice job

7. I can only echo what the others have already said. These should make some very nice images to go on your website and she should be pleased.

8. An overcast day and a beautiful model makes for some good shooting. You have done well.

9. JoJo2Fast

JoJo2Fast

Nov 20, 2007
    Auburn, WA
    Thanks everyone for the kind words! :smile:

10. shtarka1

shtarka1

Feb 1, 2008
    Boston
    Nice series!

11. JoJo2Fast

JoJo2Fast

Nov 20, 2007
    Auburn, WA
    A couple more:

2640090222_d81de274ae_o.jpg

2639322961_5d069dfdeb_o.jpg

12. Nikhe

Nikhe

Oct 8, 2006
    Sweden
    Beautiful photos with a calm soothing ( how is that spelled? ) feel to them,
    she seems comfortable and relaxed wich may be your doing?

However, they seem a liitle bit dark in some areas, at least on my screen.
    It´s not a lot were talking about, just about ~1/3 on her face and perhaps 1/2 in her hair.
    This is of course very personal to your liking, but I feel you could use the fact that she´s got a fair skin and hair to get her to raise a bit from the background this way?

But anyway, they are just beautiful as they are.

13. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    Number one doesn't do much for me...but the others are just OUTSTANDING!!!! Great job.

14. VERY nice!
    Great colours!!!
    Love last two best. Somthing about her creases around her eyes ages her in others, just personal thing though (hate to over PP myself).

15. Mart61

Mart61

Dec 23, 2006
    Camberley, UK
    A lovely series of a pretty lady!

How did you do No.7? Or where there two ladies?

16. JoJo2Fast

JoJo2Fast

Nov 20, 2007
    Auburn, WA
    Thanks everyone!

I'm starting to agree with everyone else about #1, I liked it at first but now looking at it, I'm starting to change my mind.

Mart, the other girl on the left is my sister. I took some photos of her but not as many as Hollie. Also when I showed my sister her pictures, she didn't really like any of them. I figured I wouldn't edit most of them then cause I can shoot her pretty much whenever.

17. I like number 3 and 5 the best. Nice candids, relaxed pose, warm and inviting facial expression, good composition.

18. ondrugs

ondrugs

Jun 20, 2008
    England
    was the blurred backbround in #1 done in post processing or just with apeture?

i'd like to see what #7 looks like in B&W with high contrast. got a feeling those stones at the feet might pop out - i'm just curious.

i like the darkened corners in #6. it kinda frames her and forces you to look at her. not that anyone needs to be forced :) 

19. JoJo2Fast

JoJo2Fast

Nov 20, 2007
    Auburn, WA
    #1 was just done with aperture which was at f/2.8.

I bumped the contrast up to 60 in this one.
    2647508887_8324446283_o.jpg

Thanks again for the comments!

20. JessP7

JessP7

May 3, 2005
    North MS, USA
    All the pictures are of a very pretty lady, however I prefer the ones where she is smiling. She has a very lovely smile that she should definitely show off.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.