Portraits from Turkey

Discussion in 'People' started by Mike Buckley, Jun 29, 2008.

1. I recently took a trip to Turkey, which is an informal portrait photographer's dream come true. The locals love having their picture taken. Adults ask and children nearly insist on it, all in great fun of course. Indeed, all of the people shown below were very happy to be the subject of my lens.

99090388.gif
    Schoolgirl in traditional costume (35mm @ f/8)

View attachment 216372
    Friends (70-200mm VR: 70mm @ f/2.8)

View attachment 216373
    Peering (70-200mm VR: 70mm @ f/3.3)

View attachment 216374
    Veteran (35mm @ f/6.7)

View attachment 216375
    Taking a break (70-200mm VR: 70mm @ f/2.8)

View attachment 216376
    Boys will be boys. (35mm @ f/4.8)​

2. Michael, those are wonderful! I knew you were a fine travel photographer, but I never knew you were so good at portraiture. Wow!

3. mike
    those are terrific
    thanks for sharing them with us

4. Beginner's luck, Frank. It helps not to speak the subjects' language. LOL!

Thanks, Greg! I always appreciate your kind comments.

5. Those are excellent and fun

Those are excellent and fun - I specially like the "Peering" picture :biggrin:

6. Mart61

Mart61

Dec 23, 2006
    Camberley, UK
    Superb shots! All great but Peering made me smile uncontrolably!

7. shtarka1

shtarka1

Feb 1, 2008
    Boston
    Excellent Portrait Skills!!

8. panda81

panda81

Feb 7, 2008
    Texas
    Great pictures, but I love Peering the most! You definitely captured the playful spirit of the boy in that one!

9. JDann24

JDann24

Dec 15, 2007
    Garland, Texas
    Excellent portraits. I'm going to try this next time I'm in Mexico, but i don't know, I'm kind of shy...

10. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    Mike those are really good. My boss just took a trip to Turkey...he loved it. The first shot is beautiful...the colors just pop off the screen. Good job buddy!

11. Great stuff Mike. I can see that your photos are terrific- hope that the trip was enjoyable as well.

12. Thanks to everyone for such nice comments!

It's interesting that of all my photos taken in Turkey, three of the portraits are probably in my top five favorites of all the images. Yet I took far fewer portraits than other kinds of photos.

13. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Really nice.... Looking at them made me happy.

14. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    They really do look like they enjoyed being photographed, and it shows! Great captures Mike.

15. Great shots! And i'm elated to hear that they enjoy being photographed there--i'm about to head to istanbul and i'm hoping to get some great street portraits like those!

16. Welcome to the Cafe, newbie!

One method I used worked like a charm. While walking in between tourist sites, I put a rented 70-200VR on the camera with the lens hood attached. That makes it really long. People noticed it and asked me to take their picture. Kids clamored to have their picture taken. In fact, the children were so comfortable approaching me, especially if they were in a group, that I lost what would have been great images because they would come so close to me that that lens wouldn't focus at such short distances.

Have a great time in Istanbul. I strongly suggest taking a bean bag to the Cistern. A very small clamp-on style device that can clamp onto a 2x4 railing will also work. If you haven't seen my threads about Istanbul, feel free to check them out:
    https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=173005
    https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=174480

By the way, if you see a Hoodman Loupe on a sidewalk in the residential area of Sultanahmet near the police station, I would appreciate it if you would return it to me. :biggrin:

Enjoy Istanbul!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  17. Nice pics Mike :Love::Love::Love:

For me number 3 does it all ....

18. Very very interesting to hear about your technique with the 70-200...I had thought that I wouldn't take the 80-200 because it is so large and conspicuous, plus I usually prefer the 135 f/2 DC, but I never thought it'd be a positive thing like that so I might well take it! I'll have to pick up one of those bean bags too, I've been meaning to do that....
    Thanks for the advice!

19. pat33

pat33

Nov 13, 2007
    Singapore
    Excellent shots Mike. I love them.