Portraits of a butterfly and a caterpillar

These were photographed in my next-door neighbor's tent with white foam core behind it in the shade of her carport. All natural light and no modifiers.

Black Swallowtail Caterpillar
The skin it had just shed but not yet shaken off is at its right end. The cuttings are fennel.
Mike 2021-09-19--0009-S.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Monarch Butterfly

Still hanging on to the skin of its chrysalis. The butterfly had so recently exited its chrysalis that its wings are still too wet to separate.
Mike 2021-09-19--0006-S.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:

F64

Real Name
Greg
Nice setup - great shots - love them both. It's cool how the Monarch used to fit into that small chrysalis. We don't have too many swallowtails here - but Monarchs yes and lots of Cecropia moths and their caterpillars.

Both very nice images Mike. The composition in #1 is not a usual one and I like it a lot.

The composition in #1 is not a usual one and I like it a lot.

Thanks, Binnur!

When I mentioned to my neighbor that the photo is a favorite of mine, she reminded me that she insisted that I photograph it even though I wasn't going to do that. That 's because that caterpillar is small and was so difficult to get to. I finally realized that, with her help stabilizing the tent, I could insert the macro lens inside the tent without harming any of the butterflies or chrysalis and that I could get the lens close enough to make an enjoyable photo.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom