Portraits of people that you've asked

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by Taylor, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Lowolf

Lowolf

Jan 26, 2006
    Oregon
    nice series

2. Sam O

Sam O

Jul 24, 2007
    Toronto
    Great stuff Taylor! I've been wanting to start asking people for portraits shots.

I have been asked by a few people to take their photo, strangely they never ask to see it.

3. Great work Taylor, I like the facial expressions.

4. Taylor

Taylor

May 21, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    Thanks, I still like shooting without people's knowledge, but asking for a portrait is new and exciting for me, even if I get turned down.

5. Bolts

Bolts

May 7, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    I periodically ask before I shoot someone (particularly if they are looking at me :wink:) .

Some grainy GreenPeace guys in San Fran.
    DSC_0291.

The best situation to ask people and have them say Yes: Parades!

DSC_0128-2.

DSC_0141.

DSC_0156-1.

DSC_0126-1.

6. Taylor

Taylor

May 21, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    On Wall St.

I asked them if they would mind posing for a photo with the flag behind them, and at first they said they're not supposed to pose for photos. So I asked them if they would slowly patrol into that general area :)  I asked if that was an M4, and they said yes. Then I said I only know that because of video games, and the girl smiled and asked me if it was Day of Defeat, to which I replied no, from Counterstrike.

The guy in the middle, Brian, asked me if I could send them the photo afterwards, and so I gave him my email since he didn't have one yet. I hope he didn't use it to look up my record or record my emails... In the end they were pretty cool about it and I took two photos. I liked this one because the woman is smiling a little.
    2678844288_f7774c7f2a.

I asked her if I could take her photo and she said yes. After I took a few shots, I asked if she'd ever done modeling... as it turns out, she'd been scouted and had just come from Ford Modeling Agency, only to be told by them that they already had a girl that looked like her. She's got a bright future ahead of her though.
    View attachment 216365

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2008
  7. jamesclarke

jamesclarke Guest

These are great Taylor. I know another flickr user Stpiduko has a huge set of people he has asked.

8. Taylor

Taylor

May 21, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    Thanks James, I have him as a contact as well, and he's the one that actually inspired me to ask people on the streets.

9. Motorcycle Rally - Granbury, Texas

10. Sam O

Sam O

Jul 24, 2007
    Toronto
    After cleaning my window I gestured to my camera.

2570804667_0ee13653fe_o.

11. Spectre

Spectre

Feb 20, 2008
    Oregon
    Here are a few that I took while wandering around in Portland.

The friend who was with me was getting really uptight due to me walking up to strangers and asking if I could take their picture. He couldn't understand why I would do such a thing.

1. Cowboy.....

[​IMG]

2. Alcohol Monitor on St.Patricks Day

[​IMG]

3. Urban Tribal #1

[​IMG]

4. Urban Tribal #2

[​IMG]

Enjoy......

12. I saw her sitting alone drinking a beer almost in darkness at a art gallery in Detroit. I loved her dreads ! I was leaving and asked if it was o.k. to take her picture, complementing her hair. She said sure, so I snapped a couple and had to leave as people were calling me.

2682630576_e1c13c5c0e_o.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2008
  13. wingspar

wingspar

Mar 16, 2008
    Oregon
    Don’t know if this really fits this thread. It’s not a street shot, and I didn’t ask them. They asked Me to take their photo. It as after a major collegiate game, home team winning, I was wandering around on the field, bodies and lenses hanging all over me when these students stopped me, and said “Take our picture. We want to be in Sports Illustrated”! So I obliged. It was a quick shot in deep shade. No, I did not submit the photo to Sports Illustrated. :biggrin:

14. Korean Waitress - Top Cloud Restaurant

This shot is from Korea last week. This waitress was very shy and didn't want to give approval for a photo. As soon as she said I could take the photo, she posed as if she was a model.

[​IMG]

15. jamesclarke

jamesclarke Guest

One from me...

2657007787_557923561d_b.

16. Dr A

Dr A

Feb 2, 2008
    State College, PA
    Man, I love all these, thanks for starting this thread, Taylor. I wish I wasn't so shy - maybe I'd be able to get out and do this kind of photography. Great images, all of them!

allen

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.