1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Portraits on the Beach

Discussion in 'Formal Portraits and Weddings' started by LauraJohnston, Aug 15, 2009.

1. I recently moved to Raleigh so I miss the beach in Wilmington for shooting purposes. Was visiting yesterday and did a really quick natural light shoot. Here are the first few processed.

Here's the model's link, Rachel. http://www.modelmayhem.com/1226447

original.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I like these images separately too but I usually throw horizontals together because as thumbnails people notice vertical images more than horizontal ones. I think they work together as well though?
    original.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. Samer

Samer

Sep 19, 2006
    Jupiter, FL
    First one is great, I feel like I'm at the beach right now. Also, it reminds me of the Chris Issac Video... with that supermodel... okay that was quite a throwback.

Anyway, the second one, I'm not so sure about the pose? Not the most flattering.

Cheers.

3. Gigantos

Gigantos Guest

Superb! I really do like that first image. All three are stunning, but I am totally drawn to her eyes in number 1.

4. Really nice. The first one doesn't really work for me, but I can't really put my finger on why not. I do like the second and third shots though, and I also agree they go well together like that. What part of Raleigh are did you move to? I have a bridal session coming up next month. It's a girl that lives in New Bern, but wants her bridals done in the rose garden across from NCSU.

5. Debbie H

Debbie H

Aug 23, 2007
    Missouri
    Very nice Laura! I'm so used to shooing in portrait mode I've gotten out of shooting a lot of landscape/horizontal. These pics gave me some new composition idea's. I have been seeing more horizontal shot portraits and I like them.

6. shtarka1

shtarka1

Feb 1, 2008
    Boston
    Agree about the first one & Chris Isaac's " Wicked Games" video! Nice set! Love the 2nd one!

7. Thanks! I don't think I've seen the video.........haha I'll youtube it :)  Yeah when I first looked at the image on the bottom I wasn't sure about it but in the conversion I thought it was ok. Still not the best angle I guess.

Thanks!

I'm in North Raleigh.. just saw those rose gardens the other day! I have a catalog shoot coming up for bridesmaids dresses, we'll prob shoot there! :) 

Thanks! I've always loved horizontal portraits. They work so nicely with the rule of thirds.....

Thank you!

8. Paintguru

Paintguru

Dec 28, 2006
    Detroit, MI
    I really like #2 and #3.

9. Great shots Laura! i like all 3, but the first is just amazing!

10. kichu

kichu

Oct 25, 2008
    Europe
    the winner is definately number one... good pose... great bw... +1 on Chris Issac's video

as for the set I think I would prefer to see them separately... the closeup is okay, however the wide one seems to small here (bit thumbnail like)

good job!

11. intruder61

intruder61

Dec 16, 2008
    australia
    all three are nice, but the sand in the second pic is too "messed" up...tyre marks and around the boots.... but hey, thats just me.

12. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    The first one is super sexy. :smile: Love the expression, although the composition seems a bit off. I might try cropping out the left just a tad.

13. Thank you!

Thanks! I don't normally shoot this type of image but I really like how it turned out. It's sexy .. but not trashy.

Haha, thanks. On the set I like the top image a lot better than the second image and think it stands well on its own. You can see it on my pbase page if you like!

14. You know what! When I walked up to the location I said the same thing but I ended up liking it in the photo. *shrug* Will be a matter of opinion I'm sure!

:)  Will try that!

15. NiwRaD

NiwRaD Guest

thats a beautiful B&W shots...I need to learn this.

16. Arvine

Arvine

Oct 11, 2008
    Angier, NC
    Laura: I like the first photo a lot. I'd expect to see it in a glamor magazine. Hope you like Raleigh; it's a growing city with a small town atmosphere and it has an artsy community. Dave

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.