Portraits session, sugguestions please...

Discussion in 'People' started by gho, Feb 11, 2005.

1. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Well, what do you know, there's a portrait gallery. Hmmm... Don't know how I missed that...

So yesterday I started a thread in General Discussion, but since it really belongs here, I'll just duplicate it:

Shot with 4 strobes

Main - giant SB, f/11
    fill - brolly, f/8 - f5.6
    hair - medium SB, f/8
    background - direct, f/11

Here's the samples from yesterday:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I really don't like the uneaven lighting, I tried a couple things differntly today and I think the results are are a little better, but I think it still needs work. Any sugguestions?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    All I can do is admire. Any chance you could do like Steve did in his last posting, and zoom out to show us your set-up?

This all white look is totally my grail, and you've made it look so ... natural and easy!

Thanks.

3. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    I'll try to get one for you.... But my studio is a lot smaller than Steve's. Here's the studio - the lighting setup was essentially the same, but for Today's shoot, I moved the fill strobe to subject left on the same side as the main strobe.

In place of the chair, I have a little table with sheepskin on it, and in the backdrop, I have white styrofoam. The backdrop strobe is in the same postion, a little lower to the ground and pointed up toward the styrofoam.

[​IMG]

4. Thanks for sharing your setup Gregory. I am not experienced with lighting but your images look good to me. I especially like the last two. I would bet your wife was thrilled with the Valentines card.

5. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Thanks Gordon, it's not quite valentine's yet, and I've got to do one for my youngest too. But I think she'll like it.