Portraits with props

Discussion in 'People' started by Uncle Frank, Jun 8, 2007.

1. Kim and I had a good brainstorming session before we met to shoot her bio photo for the gym. We decided her portrait should have a cycling theme, since that's her favorite form of exercise, and that we'd use her cycling jersey and her bicycle as props. The fun part was figuring out creative ways to use the props.

View attachment 99635

View attachment 99636

View attachment 99637

View attachment 99638

Since Kim was part of the team effort to plan the shoot, she was relaxed and had a good time. I think that shows in the results.

2. haze2

haze2

Mar 18, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Nice work! I like the composition in #2, but #5 takes the cake. When you look at that shot you can't help but to smile back at her!

3. I am with Haze on this one. #5 all the way. It should go up in the Gym tomorrow.

4. Thanks, guys. I like #5, but I like #1 and #3, too.

5. Bunic

Bunic

Jun 27, 2006
    South Central PA
    Uncle Frank,

NICE FILL FLASH!! I might have put the bike behind her and controlled the DOF so the bike was a less obvious prop - she is too pretty to share with the bike in focus! Her sitting on the ground, legs parallel to the camera with here upper torso turned toward the camera and leaning back on her hand. Just an idea.

Mike

6. Number 1 and number 5 do it for me. I do like Mike's suggestions for reference but I think you got some great working material here.

7. Firelarz

Firelarz

Feb 26, 2006
    Chandler, AZ
    Wow, I like #5 also, I just smiled and laughed when I saw it. NIce job!

8. Nice shots! Did you consider doing one of her sitting on the bike either riding slowly or with some invisible thing holding her up (i.e. stationary)

If she is an experienced cyclist maybe she could have even done a "track stand"

9. We considered it, Dan, but there we didn't have much time, so a static shot was the better fit. I know what you're after, though. Here's an action shot of another trainer, Travis, who is an avid biker. It took a while to set up, but it was worth it. He tells me that it's his favorite portrait ever.

... and not to be outdone, Steve popped a wheelie for me, too.

View attachment 99640

10. Being an avid cyclist myself, I like the concept of "wheels in motion" or at least percieved motion. I can see that you do so much posting here it's no wonder you don't have all that much time to get every shot the way you would like! LOL...

11. BTW

You've captured on their relaxed / happy faces, their inate love of cycling / wheel transport.