Possessed Coolpix 990

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ruffles, May 29, 2005.

1. Ruffles

Ruffles

May 5, 2005
    Rexburg, ID
    I'm sitting here processing some pictures and I started hearing a little beep. After looking around I find that my old Coolpix 990 is wigging out. Even though the switch is off, it's turning itself on, focusing and displaying pictures from the card. The only way I can turn it off is to remove the batteries. Weird huh. I put them back in and it works find (and turns off) for about 10 min and then start acting up again. I guess it's time for a new point and shoot.

2. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I've seen this happen before, but with cars, computers and older siblings. You've got a new camera, right?

3. Ruffles

Ruffles

May 5, 2005
    Rexburg, ID
    My camera is the D2x. The 990 was the wifes. She was never crazy about it because of the shutter lag and I always hated have to remove the red-eye from every picture it took so aside from having to spend money for a new camera, I'm not sad to see it go. I guess I'll have to start reading up about them.

4. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi ruffles-

i miss my 990. loved the swiveling lens, very convenient for some shots. if the 4900 wasn't so big i would've bought one when i was looking for another p&s.

if you don't mind having to buy different memory cards, take a look at the casio line. their small cameras have minimal shutter lag. i think some of the sony cameras are also equally fast.

ricky

5. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    Hehehehe... at least it didn't move! I also do model railroading and last night I ran a dcc (digital controlled locomotive across a turnout and the loco went dead, not that unusual on a turnout. I turned the power off and the speed dial all the way to off, moved the loco to another section of track and hit the power button to energize the track. I walked away knowing the speed dial was set to zero, then I heard it (it's a sound locomotive) crank up, lights came on and it started to move forward. I almost vacated the room.. :)
    Jarrell

6. Camera ghosts and train ghosts!!! Hmmmm.... me thinks you guys south of the border are hitting the moonshine a touch too much!!! *LOL*

The 990 could have a defective switch, which is usual on the 990's. I've got two of them, and the one I used 24/7 has had the switch replaced. My other one is a spare which is brand new, hardly shot so the switch is nice and tight.
    There are some sites which specialize in how to replace the switch yourself. I'd do it if I were you because, in spite of the shutter lag, etc., it's one of the best macro cameras ever made!