Possible reason for soft pictures on D200

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by EdMac, Dec 19, 2005.

1. I have a question on sharpening in NC 4.4. My question is this. When you increase the radius in USM, are you increasing it by pixels? If you are, then a higher resolution sensor means that for the same setting the radius on a D200 or D2X picture is smaller than a d100 picture. The result is less of a halo effect physically and a softer focused picture.

I have tried playing with my D200 pictures and increasing the radius in USM by around 1.5X as a starting point. It seems to help with the sharpness. Obviously if the pixels are smaller for a higher pixel count sensor of the same size the halo would be smaller and less effective. It is only a guess on my part, but it would help explan why we are getting softer pictures on our higher resolution cameras.

As I say, it is only an assumption on my part, but it sure does help my post processing. Comment welcome as always:biggrin:

2. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    In Photoshop, I've found that the higher the resolution of the file you're working on, the more you need to raise the Amount, not the radius (which I almost always keep below 1 when using Photoshop USM). But NC's USM parameters have always behaved differently than Photoshop's, so I'm not sure what if any correlation there would be with NC.