possible to do High Speed video with a D3s?

yo;

i'm wondering if I can use a D3s to shoot high-speed/slow motion video?

specifically, i want to get some high-speed vids of arrows being launched out of a compound bow and arrows thunking into a target.

if so: how?

cheers
sambo.

no it is not possible.

basically you need to be able to shoot at a higher frame rate (not shutter speed as i stills)
regular speed is 24/30 frames per second, slow mo you see on discovery channel is around 1000 frames per second, slow mo from most canon dslr's is 60 frames per second, rumor has it the next round of pro slrs will have 120 frames per second which not only has advantages for slow mo but also other things.

bugger.

i thought that might be the case.

i wonder if a firmware update or software hack on the camera will allow a D3s to shoot ~200fps or better video.

well, Nikon could update it to do something more with the video but they seem to not like adding features to cameras to make them competitive with Canon in this regard....I don't know why and that's why I'm currently a Canon user as I have to shoot a lot of video.

As far as the frames per second, not only software but also hardware has to be able to "refresh" that fast, as in it is only a 24fps sensor or something similar. I don't know the proper terminology for this or where to look it up, but I know the sensors can only create certain frame rates so the D3s probably couldn't be upgraded in this regard, but they could easily give manual audio levels, or probably .mov video recording instead of the horrid avi and also could give 1080p as the sensor has a high enough resolution to do so....rant complete

there 's likely other options but something like Casio FH20

"takes the concept of speed in a digital camera to an entirely new level: It can capture high-resolution (7 megapixel) images at up to 40 frames/second, for up to 40 frames, or 8 megapixel images at up to 30 frames/second. That's pretty fast, but even at that pace, the FH20 is only getting started: Its movie mode ranges from speeds of 210 frames/second at a resolution of 480 x 360 pixels, all the way up to an astonishing 1,000 frames/second, albeit at a tiny, short and wide resolution of 224 x 56 pix" http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/FH20/FH20A.HTM

I think Desmond had/has one and posted some videos

Last edited by a moderator:
there 's likely other options but something like Casio FH20

"takes the concept of speed in a digital camera to an entirely new level: It can capture high-resolution (7 megapixel) images at up to 40 frames/second, for up to 40 frames, or 8 megapixel images at up to 30 frames/second. That's pretty fast, but even at that pace, the FH20 is only getting started: Its movie mode ranges from speeds of 210 frames/second at a resolution of 480 x 360 pixels, all the way up to an astonishing 1,000 frames/second, albeit at a tiny, short and wide resolution of 224 x 56 pix" http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/FH20/FH20A.HTM

I think Desmond had/has one and posted some videos

definitely a step in the right direction for slow mo/speed...huge step back in quality sadly. Highly likely the next generation of SLR's will have 120 fps, a lot of cinema movie makers are using this as their video standard even for regular speed footatge. (here is a super nerdy reference that explains it: http://nofilmschool.com/2011/04/peter-jackson-shoots-the-hobbit-48-fps/ )

Last edited by a moderator:
So, are any special effects possible with the D7000 video over say the D90? One of the reasons for wanting the D7k and ditch my D90 is the lack of shutter control. So, basicially, although the D7k has more control, it is still limited on special effects like slo mo? What about any slowing?

i've been chatting with NPS Australia.

they tell me high speed video is slated for the D4, they are unable to simply do a firmware update for a D3/s/x because they run into the limits of the processor.

Latest threads

Top Bottom