Possible to use Garmin navigation on a Chrysler audio and video?

I recently bought a 2013 Chrysler 200, which has SiriusXM navigation software built into it. I prefer the navigation software built into my standalone Garmin 2689 LMT device. Is it possible to display the Garmin software on the Chrysler's LCD? Is it possible to hear the Garmin audio played through the Chrysler speakers?

Both units have Bluetooth. The Chrysler has USB ports that I could plug the Garmin device into. What other information would be helpful?

I'm less than clueless about this stuff and don't find anything about it in either product's manual. Thanks in advance to everyone interested in figuring this stuff out!

Last edited:
I don not believe SiriusXM offers navigation software. They do have traffic software which will color code different flows of traffic and you can avoid those that are moving slowly. Might have to just to use your Garmin as a stand alone. Does your Garmin have audio and video outputs? If so your Chrysler may need A/V inputs to accommodate. Another alternative would be to use your smartphone for navigation.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
We have a stand alone Garmin with Europiean maps that we have used (up until we just bought a new truck) with our 2008 Dodge truck and with a rental car in Croatia/Slovenia in 2014. Our Garmin just plugged into the cigarette lighter for power and sound came from the Garmin unit, not the car speakers.

I don not believe SiriusXM offers navigation software.
Their two offerings are Travel Link, which costs $2 per month (which I wouldn't use), and Traffic, which costs $4 per month (which I would use if I don't use the Garmin device).

Does your Garmin have audio and video outputs?
It has only a USB port. That port is used for one cable that connected to my previous car's cigarette lighter and I assume it also connects to the two power outlets in my new car. That cable includes the antenna that receives information about traffic. That port is also used for a different cable that connects to my computer for downloading the updated map from Garmin to my Garmin device.

My new car has a hard drive built into the media system, so I wonder if the Garmin map file(s) can be copied to the hard drive for use on the car's touchscreen display. When I was researching the cars that would meet my needs, I saw something about someone who was displaying their Garmin map on the car's display. That indicates to me that it apparently can be done with at least certain cars and certain Garmin systems. I wasn't concentrating on that capability at the time, so I only glossed over it without paying attention to whether any details were provided.

Our Garmin just plugged into the cigarette lighter for power and sound came from the Garmin unit, not the car speakers.
Same as my previous use, as this is the first time I've owned a car that has a navigation system built into it.

Last edited:
That's for UConnect 8.4N only. I think mine is UConnect 730N. (My wife has the car right now, so I can't verify that.)

I found some websites that connect Garmin with Chrysler (the manufacturer of my car) but ran into a similar problem that explain how to update two other UConnect versions, neither of which is UConnect 730N.

It seems that my next step is to verify with absolute certainty the UConnect version built into my car once my wife brings it home tonight. EDIT: A helpful person at a call center was able to verify for me that it is indeed UConnect 730N.

Last edited:
For the first time in my life, I spoke with three people in a row at help centers that were exceptionally helpful (assuming of course that everything they told me is accurate). However, most of the news I got is not good news.

The worst news is that I have confirmed that it's not possible to use the information on my standalone Garmin system in my car's navigation system. Though that's no surprise, it's still disappointing news.

I have also learned that updated maps for my car's navigation system become available for purchase once each year. The usual cost is $150 but the map I need is currently on sale for $100. This cost comes as a surprise to me, as updated maps for my standalone Garmin system are available throughout the year for free forever so long as I update the map at least once each year.

Worse yet, I have to update my navigation system before its map can be updated. I tried doing that yesterday and got to the point that the manual indicated that I should skip to Step D. There is no Step D. I get easily frustrated with inaccurate manuals, so I left that update up to my wife, who is far more patient than me when attending to stuff like this.

Even worse, one of the call center people told me that by her experience, Chrysler has the least user-friendly update process, so much so that almost everyone takes their car to a Chrysler dealer to have them install the newly purchased map. Considering my experience with the inaccurate manual mentioned above, this came as no surprise to me. She said 80% of the dealers do not charge for this service (which made no sense to me) but the three dealers near my home charge prices in a range of $134 to $175.

My next step is to determine how old the map is that is currently installed in my navigation system. I'll have to wait for my wife to bring the car home this evening to make that happen. Until I learn that information, I can't determine whether updating the map is worth the effort and cost.

Last edited:
For the first time in my life, I spoke with three people in a row at help centers that were exceptionally helpful (assuming of course that everything they told me is accurate). However, most of the news I got is not good news.

The worst news is that I have confirmed that it's not possible to use the information on my standalone Garmin system in my car's navigation system. Though that's no surprise, it's still disappointing news.

I have also learned that updated maps for my car's navigation system become available for purchase once each year. The usual cost is $150 but the map I need is currently on sale for $100. This cost comes as a surprise to me, as updated maps for my standalone Garmin system are available throughout the year for free forever so long as I update the map at least once each year.

Worse yet, I have to update my navigation system before its map can be updated. I tried doing that yesterday and got to the point that the manual indicated that I should skip to Step D. There is no Step D. I get easily frustrated with inaccurate manuals, so I left that update up to my wife, who is far more patient than me when attending to stuff like this.

Even worse, one of the call center people told me that by her experience, Chrysler has the least user-friendly update process, so much so that almost everyone takes their car to a Chrysler dealer to have them install the newly purchased map. Considering my experience with the inaccurate manual mentioned above, this came as no surprise to me. She said 80% of the dealers do not charge for this service (which made no sense to me) but the three dealers near my home charge prices in a range of $134 to $175.

My next step is to determine how old the map is that is currently installed in my navigation system. I'll have to wait for my wife to bring the car home this evening to make that happen.
Time for us to break in to our wine cellars . . .

I'd say forget about that Chrysler nav system, especially since it is in an older car, and just continue to use your faithful Garmin standalone the way you have been. Sounds like too much of a hassle and an expensive one at that even to update it. Even though I have Apple Maps and Google Maps available on my iPhone and iPad, I still prefer using my Garmin GPS, and recently didn't hesitate when the old one gave up the ghost to purchase a new one. I never take road trips without my Garmin! Probably I'll continue to use a standalone GPS rather than a nav system built into the car even if and when I replace my current car (2006 Acura RSX).

Mike... I get the convenience of having navigation displayed on your car's screen (that is why I have an Android Auto compatible unit in the dash), but in your case it is convenience at the loss of function. Using Waze or Google Maps on your phone gives you free, realtime updates on maps, live traffic and road hazards, a voice interface, and more.

Why not just get a nice mount and be done with it, or consider installing something like this.

Continued thanks to everyone!

I'll use the navigation system built into the car for local driving, eliminating the need to separately connect the Garmin device. Depending on how current the car's map is, I may or may not purchase and install a new map on my own (meaning my wife will install it :ROFLMAO: ). For longer drives, I'll have the Garmin standalone device handy just in case it would be helpful. It mounts nicely to the windshield but is an extra device that has to be managed.

The display in the car's navigation system is larger and its voice instructions are louder than in the Garmin device. When the top is down, the louder voice instructions in the car's built-in system are especially helpful.

Last edited:
For the first time in my life, I spoke with three people in a row at help centers that were exceptionally helpful (assuming of course that everything they told me is accurate).
I knew it was too good to be true. Another guy told me I was flat out given wrong information that the 2019 map is available and is on sale. He explained that though there is such a map that is on sale, he also explained that it applies only to certain systems. The latest map for the system in my car was released in January 2018 and is not on sale.

He also explained that the map in my car is the original 2013 map that was installed before the car was ever sold to a consumer. He recommended that I wait until the 2019 map becomes available and that makes a lot of sense to me.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom