Possibly the best ice cream ever....

Came across this new ice cream flavor in the supermarket "Fleur de sel" - it's sort of caramely, chocolaty, salty - truly excellent

So good I thought I would take a picture.

I have since learnt that food/product photography is probably not an area I should specialize in.....

p539232276-4.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

[I have no ties to Haagen Daaz by the way]

mmm that sounds amazing, will have to look for it. For awhile last year Haagen Daz had the most amazing flavor, "Mayan Chocolate", which was chocolate with cinnamon and a little spice, oh my....! But it seems to be gone now, I keep hoping they will bring it back. I love love love spicy/salty mixed with sweet!

Came across this new ice cream flavor in the supermarket "Fleur de sel" - it's sort of caramely, chocolaty, salty - truly excellent

So good I thought I would take a picture.

I have since learnt that food/product photography is probably not an area I should specialize in.....

[I have no ties to Haagen Daaz by the way]

Hey Leah -

Thanks for the heads-up. I'll look for it . . .

Of course, you realize that this thread could possibly ignite a vigorous (and international!) debate about *which* ice cream could possibly be the best ever, not to mention *which* fleur de sel is the most savory or authentic - lol!

Cheers,

Eric

P.S. - After having sampled awesome gelato throughout Firenza and Milano, and superb glace from Berthilion on the Ile de Saint-Louis (plus Blue Bell, etc.), my current favorite is here:

http://www.asi.ksu.edu/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=204

If you go to the Haagen-Dazs website, you can search the flavor you want in relation to your zip code and it will tell you which stores carry it. :wink: I know what I'll be shopping for tomorrow afternoon...

D

debmac56

I am going to have to look for that favor for SURE! Sounds yummy.

West coast of FL (formerly Westchester County, NY)
I chuckled when I read your comment alluding to the difficulty to shoot food. A buddy of mine had to do a shoot for an agency on a job for a food company. My buddy did all of the model shots, but it seems that the ad agencies always bring in a "food designer" on photo shoots. I suppose I should not have been surprised, but I couldn't believe what was done to enable the photographer to shoot the "food".

Just a few examples:
The breakfast cereal was in a bowl with "milk" which was really Elmer's glue thinned with water. Actual milk apparently appears too blue (think of skim milk) so it is not used.

Minestrone soup was poured from a can into a deep soup dish filled with clear marbles. The marbles supported the vegetables in the soup to make them appear to be far more abundent that they really are. When you look at the photo, it appears that the bowl is brimming with veggies. NOT!

Ice cubes in a glass are plastic since it is easier to get a clear plastic cube than it is to get a clear ice cube.

And, best of all - the turkey was cooked about 3/4 through and then "basted" with a combination of brown food coloring of some sort mixed with shellac. Yes - shellac. Made the outside of the bird mouth wateringly brown and shiny and crispy looking. UGH.

I guess all of us have seen the promo photos of a Big Mac or a Whopper piled high with the patties, the gorgeous green lettuce, the perfect red tomato and the gleaming white onion slices. Looks to be 6" thick. Then you unwrap the squished down real thing with day old lettuce, 1/2 green tomatoes and unbalanced patty stack.

I guess that is how the ad world works in general, huh?

Greg - thanks for the heads up on the locked photo and the kind words!

Nick - I enjoyed my ice cream with a chilled glass of rose tonight - it's about 85 and humid here and there's nothing better than seeing the condensation forming on the glass (no maybe I should try to get a photo of that instead....)

Shaun - thanks! If/when I get to Oregon I shall check it out!

Janet - I never got to try the choc ice cream you mentioned, I am not really a "sweet tooth" kind of girl - my perfect dinner out would probably be 3 appetizers and a cheese plate!! So when I saw the "salt" ice cream concept I was all over it!

Leigh - I found it in my local Shaws - they had a big promo poster on the freezer door

Mike - I'm thinking I need to get with the program and give up on the wine and try the beer and ice cream concept!

Eric - oooh, controversial! But I'm loving that your favorite ice cream comes from a place called "animal sciences and industry" (on the website!) - seriously, next time I'm in Kansas I will check out the 35 flavors! Note the "possibly" in my title. My all time favorite ice cream - for the record - was a zabaglione (spelling??) in Italy when I was about 8. My all time favorite salt is MALDON sea salt, each time I go home (to Liverpool, UK) I come back with boxes of the stuff in my suitcase - I dread customs finding these boxes of white crystals in my luggage....

Leigh - cool tip! I might go back and get a few more tubs!

Nick - too funny!

Debmac - it's pretty good!

Rick - excellent stories, I think I read something similar about food photography essentially being totally fake in a food magazine once - loving the marbles in soup idea

I just llllllllllove a good icecream.:Love:
But i prefere the handmade Italian ice.We have three Italian ice parlors in our citycentre.All are owened by Italian families who are for generations in the profession.All use real fruit,milk etc.Artificial is like swearing in a church in there kitchen.I still dont know how they do the invisable hand that grabs you and gently guides you in when in a 100 feet radius.
BTW:
A few years ago a American ice giant Baskins and Robbins thought it was a good idea to have a location almost next of one of the Italian shops.I think the adventure lasted 6 months before B&R closed,and left town with a hanging tail.
Haagen Daz and Ben & Jerry are okay,but i think its almost a complete meal.

Rob - agree that handmade Italian ice is simply superb!

Daniel - Mmmm - two words back at you "mix ins" (or is that one word "mix-ins"???)

Latest threads

Top Bottom