Share Post a photo of your significant other

Real Name
Jim Ledbetter
This beautiful lady is my wife Lynn. Please post a pic of your special person.
_DSC8707.jpg 8x10_pp_pp.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This was my Monica, napping in her favorite chair about about a week after her cancer diagnosis, Nov 2007. The only reason I was able to catch the photo was the fact of her napping. Her only bitterness of her condition was voiced but once - "This was not the retirement I had envisioned." She was STRONG... She survived until May 2013. For some reason I shot this as a JPEG so fixing the color is pretty much not going to happen.

MonicaSnoozing_3933.JPG

Last edited:
This lady is my late wife Jan before the dreaded big C took her from me
1600518356625.jpeg

You play with the cards you are delt - just gotta suck it up and do what is necessary when ever it is needed. I was warned within days of Monica's diagnosis to show no negative emotion in her presence and to make the best of the situation whenever possible. I burned a full years worth of vacation days (4 weeks) and my sick leave (2 weeks) between New Years and end of March and then started using my sick leave (2 weeks), transporting her to doc visits, chemo sessions and hospital visits for emergencies. When every away-from-work-day was consumed, I just left work saying Monica needs me for whatever and left. That cost me my job, but I was feeling used up by the job at that point and no longer cared; with being 65 5 months later I had planned to retire at 65 anyway. The best part of the layoff was a generous severance, a chunk of annual bonus and I spent the last 2 months of her life visiting with her daily.

When her chemo resulted in "foot ulcerations" her Doc stopped that chemo and started another and sent us to a wound clinic. We were told at the wound clinic to use Silvadene cream to sooth/heal her feet and I was told to pay particular attention to the bandage change methodology. I changed her foot dressings twice a day, but to avoid applying the cream with my hands. Because I did not have access to the particular tool they used to apply the cream I thought about using plastic picnic-ware, forks would be too pointy and knife blades had serrations but the bottom convex surface of tea spoons turned out to be just the size. put on sterile gloves and got to work. I did not have to touch the cream in the jar it came in, as the spoon handle was long enough to reach jar bottom. I would peel off the previous no-stick gauze ads, washed her feet with distilled water to removed previous cream layers, liberally painted her feet with the cream using the bottom of the tea spoons, multiple spoons per foot to avoid cross contamination, applied new no-stick pads then wrapped up each foot with long lengths of 4 inch wide gauze dressings. SUCCESS - went from feet covered with bleeding ulcers to no blood, no fluid leaks, to health pink "baby skin" in two weeks.

Excuse me now to shed a tear or three.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Top Bottom