1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Post Navy Retirement Trip

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by seabee1999, Oct 4, 2018.

1. Good day to all, it has been a bit since I last posted anything here. In 2005, I became a member of the Cafe while stationed in Italy. Since then, I've been to a number of places with the Navy and by an large you all have been a part of that journey. I started school in 2008 and after coming back from Afghanistan I kind of dropped off the map; however, I have always enjoyed seeing posts and images from the friends I've made on this forum. With all this being said, I wanted to share that this November, I begin my terminal leave from the Navy and will retire from active duty service after 20 years.

I will be doing a trip to my final destination which will be in Oklahoma. For dates and the route, please look below. If anyone would like to meet up for a coffee or quick photo trip please PM me and let's try to meet.

I wish to thank everyone here for your support over the years. I have met some great folks in person through the Cafe.

R/
    Dave

Nov 17 - Leave Ventura, CA and head to Mono Lake
    Nov 18 - Leave Mono Lake and head for San Fran/Sebastobal
    Nov 19 - Leave Sebastobal towards the Redwoods and/or Crater Lake area
    Nov 20 - Leave RW/CL to Vancouver, WA
    Nov 21 - Leave Jim's and head to Boise (niece)
    Nov 22 - Stay in Boise for Thanksgiving
    Nov 23 - Leave Boise for Pinedale, WY
    Nov 24 - Tetons area
    Nov 25 - Tetons/Yellowstone area
    Nov 26 - Yellowstone area
    Nov 27 - Leave Yellowstone area to Devils Tower
    Nov 28 - Leave Devils Tower for Cheyenne
    Nov 29 - Leave Cheyenne for somewhere in Colorado
    Nov 30 - Hope to hit Norman, OK

On a side note, at the end of Oct (26, 27, 28), I'll be driving through AZ, NM and the panhandle of TX. I will be driving my Jeep through the area to park it in OK and then fly back for my retirement ceremony. I will use the I-40 corridor to OK. Hopefully I can meet a few folks on that trip as well.

2. I'll very likely be in Boise Nov 20-25 for TG with daughter. Have been doing so for several years and have yet found no time to go shoot! I'll pm you once our plans are set, just in case history doesn't repeat itself this year!
    Congrats on the impending retirement--it really is all it is cracked up to be, and more :joyful: :joyful: :joyful: 

3. Many thanks Nick. I can hardly wait for this trip. I also look forward to retiring and moving on from the Navy. I look forward to your PM.

R/
    Dave

4. socrdude

socrdude

Jun 5, 2009
    USA-Today
    I live very close to Vancouver Washington (USA)...

5. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    A heartfelt THANKS for your service!

Congrats! Retirement is highly UNDER rated! LOL!

6. Sounds like a nice retirement celebration trip Dave. Fair winds and following seas shipmate!

7. JusPlainCrayzee

JusPlainCrayzee Administrator Administrator

How wonderful, Dave and Congratulations to you!!! I wish I lived in one of the states you're passing through. You would have been welcome to stay in my home!

8. After 20 years in the Navy you don't want to take a cruise on a non gray boat? :)  Congrats.

9. Way cool! Thank you for your PM as well. I'll write back here shortly.

Thanks Karen! I just look forward to this trip and new adventures to follow.

Many thanks Bill! Thank you for serving as well.

It's Ok Lyndee! I'll be right next door for a time in OK. Perhaps we can meet up at a later time once I'm settled. I have fond memories of St. Louis. My first set of schools after boot camp was in Ft. Leonard-Wood.

Nope, no cruises for me. :) 

10. socrdude

socrdude

Jun 5, 2009
    USA-Today
    Depending on the Weather, we can venture up to our volcano.. Mount. St Helens.... The snow is falling on Mt. Rainier already

11. That would be fun.

R/
    Dave

12. crazy

crazy

Feb 5, 2009
    NC
    Many thanks for your service, and congrats on moving on to your new life. Not to worry, you will still have constant breezes, albeit, land breezes.

Our son married an OK girl, and now lives in OK. Growing up on the East Coast, he used to roll his eyes when I would do the readiness activities in case a hurricane was forecast to approach the coastline, even though we live 140 miles inland. Now that he has a family, no more eye rolling, but an early spring inspection and cleaning of his home underground storm shelter.

Long story short, once he moved to OK he learned the importance of heeding tornado warnings there, as he has (fortunately) spent time under ground during several bad tornadoes. When the local newscasters say "you need to be under ground", they are not exaggerating.

13. Walter

Walter

Jan 13, 2006
    Columbia, Maryland
    Walter Rowe
    Congratulations Dave. Thank you for your service. Your trip sounds great. Best of luck post retirement. Hope to hear more from you on the Café.

14. 73Z1

73Z1

Sep 15, 2008
    Sacramento
    When you leave Mono Lake and head towards San Francisco, if you have time to stop in Sacramento, I'll be glad to meet up. Some aspects of that drive from Mono Lake are really beautiful. I just drove that route last April. Be sure to keep a camera available for a quick pull-over to get some shots around Bishop, CA. The light in the mountains there is awesome.

PM me a day or two in advance and I'll send you my cell number. I served in the Navy as active duty and active reserve. Learned to shoot 35mm in the Submarine Periscope Photography Class at Pearl Harbor Sub Base. Congrats on the 20 year career. You earned every penny of your retirement pay.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Congrat's on your retirement. Thank you for your service. Are you sure you don't want to Re-up for 6 more??

16. JusPlainCrayzee

JusPlainCrayzee Administrator Administrator

Sounds like a plan! :) 

• Like Like x 1
  17. Thank you Don and thanks for the heads up. Thankfully my wife is from OK. She can teach me about the whole tornado siren. Can't be much different than the inbound missile/mortar round alarm.

Thanks Walter. I hope to contribute more now that I am a little bit more free.

Thanks Mike. I love and miss dearly the Mono Lake/Lee Vining area. When I first came back from Italy in '06, I was stationed in Fallon, NV. I would drive to Mono Lake as often as I could. When I moved from Fallon to Ventura in '09, I really haven't been back there. This trip through there is my way of saying thank you to the spot I thoroughly enjoyed being at and goodbye as well.

Thanks Jim, but NO! :) 

R/
    Dave

18. Panther

Panther

Jun 1, 2009
    Texas (KSKF)
    CONGRATS on the retirement!

19. David, having met you in person a number of years ago, congratulations! That's quite a trip! I wish you all the best! I wish my schedule accommodated for meeting you somewhere along your trip, esp. Mono Lake... but alas. :) 

20. Thanks P! This will be fun!

It was a pleasure meeting you as well. Since our first meeting in DV, I haven't forgotten my tent poles.....ever again :)  Hopefully I can make it back out this way again once I leave. Just don't know when that will be.

V/R
    Dave

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.