Post processed image differs in Library & Develop Modules in LR

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by MMarz, Aug 13, 2008.

1. MMarz

MMarz

Sep 15, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Working on a few images from a preserve shoot and after processing one in LR2, I notice that the sharpening appears far greater when the image is viewed in the Library module versus how it looks in the Develop module...

In the Develop Module..

[​IMG]

Same image when viewed in the Library module

[​IMG]

I now understand that you can only see the sharpening applied in the Develop module if you are viewing at 1:1. But I am baffled at why.

You adjust an image's tone curve, exposure, clarity etc in the Develop module and it's WYSIWIG... Once you're done and you want to apply final sharpening you do it at 1:1 but when you go back to a standard preview, still in Develop, so you can admire your work. you don't get the full deal...you can't see how much sharpening was applied. It's so easy to ruin a digital image with too much sharpening. Still you have to exit to the Library or output the image to see how much good or damage you've done.

I've posted on the LR forums and I am lost to find that only a few people feel this isn't OK? I'm left thinking there must be some flaw in my work-flow. I must not understand this well enough because as good as I think LR is, I find this as a fatal flaw.

2. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Interesting . . . I just compared the Library and Develop modules on my laptop screen and there are differences. I'm not sure whether it is just sharpness - there seems to be a slight color shiftt also - which is more of a worry to me. I need to see it on my 30" ACD to tell though.

3. lchrismunos

lchrismunos

Jun 28, 2006
    Arkansas
    Could it be that the images rendered in the library are JPEG and the develop module renders the raw image? Were you shooting raw?

4. MMarz

MMarz

Sep 15, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    I only shoot RAW.

5. Compulsion

Compulsion

May 1, 2007
    Sterling, VA
    That kind of makes sense. LR2 applies a default level of sharpening in the Library in order to help you make decisions as to whether particular images are keepers or not (which is the purpose of the Library module). Once you get down to the nitty gritty in Develop it gives you the real view of the image.

6. MMarz

MMarz

Sep 15, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    I'm sorry to tell you, you are only partially correct.

LR will apply a default amount of sharpening if your default ingestion preset includes it. If you over-ride the default, or apply a custom preset then that level of sharpening is applied and visible in the Library module at any available preview size as well as 1:1 or better.

However....

You can apply any level of sharpening in Develop module, max it out if you wish, and the applied sharpening will not be visible in any preview size in the Develop module. You'll only see the sharpening if you view the image at 1:1.

This seemed to be almost a show-stopper for me since I wasn't able to negotiate in my mind how on earth I was to be applying sharpening to an image with an level of accuracy (over sharpening is so easy to do) if the preview didn't accurately depict my work.. Than answer is...

Create 1:1 Previews.

Now, it doesn't seem efficient to create 1:1's for all images. The time it adds might be significant depending on the size of the shoot. So I am going to add one step to my workflow. It will look like this..

1. At ingestion, Rename image to appropriate name, apply my import Preset and create Standard Previews;
    2. Do the initial cull of obvious Rejects;
    3. Apply all Stacking and Key Words;
    4. Perform Backups, then format cards;
    5. Rate images using Star ratings (I usually do this a few days after a shoot when the emotional attachment is less and I can be a bit more forensic about the images
    6. Create 1:1 Previews of the highest ranking images that will receive additional work in post.

This will keep the extra memory usage to a minimum. I have LR set to purge 1:1's after 30 days which is fine because at this point if I am going back to an image it is most likely in the Library module any way.