Post processing of Raw Pictures.

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Bob the Spiderman, Mar 1, 2005.

1. Now I have my RAW work flow up and running I find that I am post-processing these images in Nikon Capture rather than Photoshop's CS Camera RAW. I just wondered if other people found Nik.Capture sufficient for their requirements or whether they find Camera RAW better for some aspects of the Post Processing.

95% of my PP is a small amount of USM. Unless MORE is really warranted. Same in Curves - Highlights down to 240-248 and the other end set at a minimum of 5. Plus a small amount of noise reduction.

Other manipulation for painting out-cloning etc is done in P/Shop.

Many thanks. Bob f.

2. Bob -

I think you'll find a lot of folks here who do their initial processing in Capture, if for no other reason than the fact that many of us have attended a session led by Ron Reznick where he leads you through a very effective post processing technique that uses Capture for most initial adjustments (EV-WB-Curves-others as needed). I had actually started using Capture for this step even before the session, mainly because I liked it's handling of NEF files slightly better.

What I'd REALLY like is if Capture would meld some of the interface of the Curves adjustments similar to how PSCS Raw does... the multi-color display that PSCS uses is nice, and can sometimes make it easier to see WB issues.

3. joecolson

joecolson

Jan 28, 2005
    Cary, NC
    Bob,

I use Capture for initial processing also. And as David said, it's probably because of Ron Reznick's workshop session and eBook. I'd suggest you get a copy of his eBook and try his post-processing work flow. There's also a new book that I just bought from Amazon.com entitled "Real World Camera Raw with Adobe Photoshop CS" that may shed some insight on how to use PS CS Raw more effectively.

4. Hi Joe.

I have the book and I agree it is very very good.

Sorry to say ebooks are a BIG BIG NO NO with me. Hate them with a vengence. I am an old fart who was brought up on the printed page, not a computer screen.

BW. Bob F.

5. Hi Bob

I also prefer Capture, except when trying to recover blown whites. I feel Capture gives me better control and I find the batch features more intuitive.

6. joecolson

joecolson

Jan 28, 2005
    Cary, NC
    Re: Hi Joe.

Bob,

I agree with you on eBooks. But I simply print them or get our local printing service (Kinko's) to print them and bind them. My 57-year old eyes handle the printed page much better also. I have printed versions of Ron's eBook, Thom Hogan's D2H guide, the Nikon Capture manual ...