Post Processing Technique for Interiors

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Thank you so much, Glenn - that was very nice of you. I'm going to try your technique, for sure. I always wondered how you acheive your results; now I know!!

Thank you so much, Glenn - that was very nice of you. I'm going to try your technique, for sure. I always wondered how you acheive your results; now I know!!

Thanks...and you're welcome.

It seems that every time I post a photograph of an interior, I get questions about straight lines at 14mm and the processing technique. So, I thought it was about time to document the process. This way, I can now refer to this link anytime those questions come up in future posts!

Glenn

Upon request, I documented my approach to processing HDR images of interior spaces such as churches and capitol buildings. If interested, here's the link:

http://www.nagelphotography.com/blog/2013/7/a-capitol-recipe

Thanks for reading...
Glenn

Glenn,

Thank You so much for this! Could you answer a few questions, though?

1. In HDR Efex Pro, it sounds like you don't use any preset at all. Is that correct? Just increase the "Tone Compression" value?

2. I'm very interested in the perspective cropping, but it looks like you use CS6, correct? I'm still on CS5 and it doesn't appear quite the same. Do you have any perspective cropping tricks that you used in CS5 before getting CS6?

Thanks!

Excellent post, Glenn!

Thanks Karen...I'm glad it is of some help.

Glenn,

Thank You so much for this! Could you answer a few questions, though?

1. In HDR Efex Pro, it sounds like you don't use any preset at all. Is that correct? Just increase the "Tone Compression" value?

2. I'm very interested in the perspective cropping, but it looks like you use CS6, correct? I'm still on CS5 and it doesn't appear quite the same. Do you have any perspective cropping tricks that you used in CS5 before getting CS6?

Thanks!

Thank you, Bert

That's correct...I simply go with the default and increase the Tone Compression value if necessary. I save all of the processing decisions for LR and/or PS.

I use CS5 and haven't upgraded to CS6. When using the Perspective Crop tool, you need to first draw the cropping box without selecting an aspect ratio. Leave at least one of the fields blank for the aspect ratio of the crop. Then, check the Perspective box to activate it. From there, pull the lines in as shown in my blog posting. When straight, pull them back and apply. Then crop to the aspect ratio (photo dimension) that you want as you ordinarily would.

Glenn

.......I use CS5 and haven't upgraded to CS6. When using the Perspective Crop tool, you need to first draw the cropping box without selecting an aspect ratio. Leave at least one of the fields blank for the aspect ratio of the crop. Then, check the Perspective box to activate it. From there, pull the lines in as shown in my blog posting. When straight, pull them back and apply. Then crop to the aspect ratio (photo dimension) that you want as you ordinarily would.

Glenn

AHA! Thanks for that clarification. I missed the part about pulling the lines back. I just tried it and it makes sense now.

Thanks again!

Based upon what you taught us, Glenn, here's my first effort at perspective cropping:

Original........................................................................ Perspective Cropped
i-CnnMsBR-L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
i-RrJjftH-L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Thanks!

Bert,

Great job...and straight lines! I have to give credit to Dez on the Nikon Cafe for teaching me about Perspective Crop a few years ago. It's a tool that I've used often ever since.

Glenn

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom