Post your Strobist Style Self Portrait HERE

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by Ray C., May 22, 2007.

1. Ray C.

Ray C.

Nov 7, 2005
    Thailand
    Inspired by Josh's (Gr8Tr1X) thread (https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=115947) how about we all post some self portraits here using Strobist style off camera flash techniques?

It can be a great learning experience and also quite fun. The portraits can range from the serious to the silly (within Cafe rules, of course:wink:) with the only requirements being that they must be shot utilizing off camera flash and you share your lighting setup, and how they were triggered (PW's, SU-800, Commander mode, etc)**

One flash, eight flashes...whatever! Post as many self portraits as you wish...Go crazy and let's have some fun!!

If you've got a D2H, D2X or D200, (I'm not sure about other models) you can use the "Interval Timer Shooting" menu option for the self portraits. Just frame a little loose, get into position and the camera will focus and shoot at the specified intervals. If not, heck...you can even have someone else trip the shutter for you, as long as you do the lighting setups, you'll learn and benefit from the experience.

**The easiest way is to post a photo of the entire setup, along with the self portrait. But if not, FM'er Kevin Kertz has developed an outstanding resource to diagram different lighting setups.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic2/446987

Here's a quick self portrait that I did for a Strobist "snoot" challenge a couple of months ago. D2H, 70-200, triggered by Pocket Wizards.

Nothing special, I know...it's just to get the ball rolling. But now I've gotta shoot some better ones to post here at the Cafe.

[​IMG]

And the setup:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  2. OK, Ray, I'll play. In fact, I was excited because this gave me a chance to use my newest toy... a wired remote. The cord is only a few feet long, so I used a wide angle lens... the heck with perspective distortion ;-). Here's the setup.

I only used one flash, and tried to balance the exposure so I could use light coming through the window for fill. Shooting data was 1/30s f/3.5 at 20.0mm iso200.

I had so much fun using all my gear and figuring everything out that I didn't take time to shave or comb my hair. Sorry.

View attachment 96909

3. LOL - the mad scientist...

4. Gr8Tr1x

Gr8Tr1x Guest

Ray, thats a great self portrait. I like the subtle coloring of the eyes in this one.

5. Precisely what I felt like, Brian :Smart::866::biggrin:

6. Ruffles

Ruffles

May 5, 2005
    Rexburg, ID
    Cool. Where do you get the cool icons to illustrate the setup?

7. Gr8Tr1x

Gr8Tr1x Guest

Its a PhotoShop file and has movable layers for each of the elements. Maybe Google Kevin Kerts' name and see if you can find it.

8. Ruffles

Ruffles

May 5, 2005
    Rexburg, ID
    Thanks. It looks like the website is down.

9. Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  10. Ruffles

Ruffles

May 5, 2005
    Rexburg, ID
    Thanks guys. Here's mine...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. OK, I have downloaded the software that shows the position of your lights and have figured out everything except how to rotate the items (model, camera, umbrella, etc.) so that they are pointing in the right direction. Help would be appreciated for this.

12. Nice shot, but the hair light didn't seem to have worked, and you've chosen a very odd placement for your fill light. All it seems to have done is put a bright patch on the left side of your head.

13. Select the layer with the item you wish to rotate/move.

Press [ctrl + t]. That will activate the free transform for the layer.

You'll be able to rotate and/or move the item on that layer. Press [enter] after you're done.

14. Ahhh yes, why didn't I think of that. Thanks.

15. Ruffles

Ruffles

May 5, 2005
    Rexburg, ID
    I had the diagram wrong so I fixed it. When I did it the first time, I placed all the lights and then rotated the model and forgot to update the lights.

Hairlight is maybe the wrong term. Perhaps it should be kicker. I just wanted a little light on my shoulder / back so that it wouldn't get lost in the background.

16. Gr8Tr1x

Gr8Tr1x Guest

It looks like the hairlight is what is illuminating the left side of his head.

17. Ruffles, I think you lighting is quite dramatic. I like this shot.

18. Gr8Tr1x

Gr8Tr1x Guest

Everyone is sharing such great ideas, that I thought I'd throw something else in there to share. I created an interesting background tonight by filling three ribbed water bottles with water and adding green food coloring. I shot an SB600 through them to get an interesting pattern on the wall. I have gels, but I wanted to try this to see if it worked...plus, the gels don't add texture. I thought this was cool. Anyway, one SB600 in Softliter II at 90 degrees to frame left. One SB600 on a boom behind me to light my noggin. The SB800 on the camera for fill with a Lumiquest softbox on it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2007
  19. Taylor

Taylor

May 21, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    Hey Joshua, that's definitely a neat effect! How'd you keep the bottles in place in front of the strobe?

20. Gr8Tr1x

Gr8Tr1x Guest

I had the bottles in a row with the speedlight laying on its back, head tilted upwards one click. The whole thing was set on a low table behind me.