Posting a picture in more than one forum

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pa, May 16, 2017.

1. Do we have a policy on this?

Sometimes I have a photo that I think would be of interest to people who frequent very different forums. For example, today I posted a picture of an amaryllis blossom in the "Nikon D750 Images and Discussion Thread" because I think it is a very good demonstration of the capabilities of that camera's sensor. But it probably would also be of interest to folks who frequent the "Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery" forum. Is it o.k. to post it there also?

Personally, I have no problem with this, but would request that the poster mention that it is also posted in another forum.

2. Jim -

I too occasionally would like to do that. There WAS a rule we shouldn't do it under previous ownership, but I never liked it. I hope your thread will bring some support.

Harry

3. I'm all for it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. I think it's a good idea in some cases... example: a photo that you create in both color and B&W...

5. I'm all for it as well... (y)

6. I don't know how many people browse the Cafe like I do, but I hit "Unread" and go through the list, so multiple postings of the same image would add clutter. YMMV.

Sean

7. I hear what you're saying but do you read 'every' unread or skip some subjects/forums that
    you are not interested in...?

I like manual focus lenses so I read postings in both the Nikon and Non-Nikon manual focus
    lens forums. Sometimes someone posts some images there because they shot them with a
    manual lens. They may be macros or landscapes, etc, but many people who may be interested
    in those kind of images may not ever visit those forums. Does it not make sense that the photog'
    that shot them should also place them in the appropriate other forums as well so those people
    may see them too...?

IDontKnow-1.

Attached Files:

8. ^^I agree with Sean to a point, but there are some forums I don't typically read--night and IR, film, DX, to name a few and by occasionally and judiciously posting in a second forum would increase my chances of seeing a great shot.

9. Sometimes it is the subject or even individuals that I know well that will get me to take a look - like Nick says, "occasionally and judiciously" would be the key to making it work well. Now that I think about it, there have been times when I posted in a less-frequented subforum knowing that it won't get seen there nearly as much as the General Discussion subforum so this would be a nice solution to that quandary.

Sean

10. Yes, I agree, you shouldn't be plastering images all over the place. But if I were (to say) take some
    nice flower images with my Vivitar 35mm MF and post them in the 'Non-Nikon manual focus lenses'
    forum shouldn't I be allowed to also post those images in the 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery'
    forum as well...?

As long as it's only if/when it makes logical sense and limited to a maximum of just two forums...

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Hmmm...!!!. I've posted colour photos of our Golden retrievers in the "Other Animals" and then the B&W versions in the "B&W" section.
    Didn't know you weren't suppose to do this & no one ever said anything, or maybe because one lot was in colour & the others were in B&W...

12. Ray Vonn

Ray Vonn

Feb 27, 2016
    Really don't see this as a problem, but that's me.

13. MortyCapp

MortyCapp

Mar 25, 2011
    London
    the world of indexing...any librarian amongst us?
    :)

14. The obvious solution would be to do what we can do on PBASE.com and link the same photo to the second forum, rather than reposting. Don't know whether that is doable within this software.

I could also understand the previous constraint years ago, when storage space was much more expensive. I don't think that would be a restriction today.

15. I requested that once last year when Mike was still the owner. It was done, but Mike said it was complicated so I didn't request it any more.

Actually, I'm not uploading my images, just linking them, so it wouldn't use any more disk space.

16. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    When logging onto NikonCafe, I like to review the Unread thread listing. I don't care what forum an image might be in....I just like to view great images! LOL! I wasn't aware that admins/mods were concerned about this and had been removing duplicates.

My suggestion is to just use common sense, be considerate of others and only post a duplicate when the image realistically fits in another forum.

17. I'm not aware they they have been. I just thought it was an unspoken rule.

Of course.

18. Raising hand here! :) Well, retired now -- I still hang out at the library fairly frequently to replenish my supply of reading matter! I still prefer to read actual books as opposed to on my iPad or a Kindle.

Back to the topic at hand: I think it's fine to post the same image in different subforums from time to time, especially such as in the example Jim mentions, or when doing the image in both B&W and color. I don't think there was ever a rule about it and it seems to me that Uncle Frank used to do it occasionally. In the example Jim mentions, I would not see that image unless he did post it in the macro section since I don't tend to read much in the subforums discussing the various models of cameras.

19. kilofoxtrott

kilofoxtrott European Ambassador Moderator

Dec 29, 2011
    Tettnang, Germany
    Hi Jim,
    I had the same problem. When I post a picture in the "Lens" forum or in the CS I like to show it in Landscapes or Wanderlust too.
    Because we both use only links I see no problem.

Regards
    Klaus

20. O.K. let's do it until we're told not to. ;)

• Agree Agree x 3