Posting etiquette question...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by olddogg, Jul 6, 2007.

1. Just wondering....is it considered bad form to post similar images of your own in response to another member's images, for discussions sake, or is it better to simply comment on the images, and start another thread in the appropriate forum for your own shots? Does my question make sense? Thanks.......

2. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Hi Jack,

Your question does make sense and is a very good one. Sometimes, a person will read a thread and post their reply in text as well as embeding an image as an example. I don't believe that is it out of line or in bad taste to do this practice, but it also doesn't hurt to ask permission of the author of the thread to eliminate bad feelings. Now, if someone has some great shots and you decide to add yours as well, this might be touchy whereby the author might feel as though you are hijacking his thread.

3. Thank you Frank. I appreciate your response. Want to be a good neighbor whenever possible......

4. Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  5. I do it on occasion. When in doubt, just post a link with an offer to remove it.

6. Personally, I think if the purpose of your post is to "trump" the original poster, then it is incorrect. If, however, it is very obviously in support of the original poster's intentions then it is okay.

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I will only on occassion if a person wants to see samples from a lens, for example
    Otherwise in conversation of the subject , perhaps post a link to a similar image .
    Good judgement is called for in these situations.
    If you are friends with the person and goofing around it is ok..lolol

8. Greg, Nick, Chris , and Gale,
    Thanks. You've given a good sense of how to be a pleasant forum neighbor. Appreciated.

9. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I think it depends on the context of the thread and what sub-forum it's in. If someone posts an image in one of the image galleries, especially if they're asking for feedback or critiques, then IMHO posting a similar image and saying something like "I went there once too" or something similar is poor etiquette. Even if the respondent's intentions are not to steal focus away from the original poster, it can have that appearance. After all, the OP started the thread, if you want feedback on your own photos you can always start another thread.

On the other hand if the originating thread is in the gear forums and is sharing examples from a lens or asking from samples from a location, etc, then by all means share your images. Personally, I wouldn't post one of my images in somebody else's thread unless they asked for others to share images.

10. Thanks Jeff..
    Your answer gets to the heart of my question. Maybe I've been a bit rude occasionally, while meaning no offense. Thanks for your response. Makes a lot of sense.